Unwelcome Pop-Up on MacRumors

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Belly-laughs, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

I was just browsing the front page when a warning dialogue popped up…

I clicked cancel but the messenger seemed persistent so I got a few more. It even took me to another website, even when clicking cancel. To avoid a scan being performed I had to force quit Safari. Anyone knows what this is? Should I worry?

Attached Files:

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

ignore it, and set Safari to block pop-up windows.

3. relimw macrumors 6502a

Haven't seen that one before, but the windows virus scanner must be completely dumb to think your system is so messed up that it's a pc :eek:

4. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Well it's good to see you allowed it to scan you registry (recommended). :D And having Safari block pop-ups is likely to do nothing as this is a javascript message box.

Are you sure you didn't have any other websites open, Belly-laughs?

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

These sort of ads aren't supposed to be on the site.

If it happens again can you take a screenshot of the ad on the top of the site? (the top banner?). Someone else had posted about this ad, but I couldn't understand from their post what ad they meant.

We try to avoid these sort of ads, but sometimes they sneak through on our ad network.

arn

6. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

Thank goodness I wasn't the only one this happened to!!!

I had this happen yesterday whilst on MacRumours (not on any other website)

I had to force quit safari to stop it scanning - as I had one warning pop-up, that I said 'cancel' or 'no' to - then another.

Last night I ran ClamXav and nothing found - so all is ok with me - it was only this morning I got miffed about it probably being an Ad - and I'm so thank you posted this belly laughs - thought it was just an irregularity with my system.

Edit: I managed to force quit before it redirected me - I also did the usual cookies/history clear straight after.

Edit X2: Arn it was trying to redirect me to errorsafe.com - the exact same behaviour as belly laughs

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

if you see this again, let me know.

Also right-clicking the banner to let me know where it redirects you to would be helpful.

thanks
    arn

8. xPismo macrumors 6502a

xPismo

Wow, thats some sneaky mean advertising. Now I understand why so many people hate getting income from them. Ew.

9. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

10. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

I do use a pop up blocker - this is different

11. Belly-laughs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

You´re right – I do have Safari set to block pop-ups. And I had no other websites open. I didn´t opt for checking my non-existent registry, pressing cancel took me away from MR and to this other site 3w.errorsafe.com/…).

Thanks, arn. I know you guys are doing your best keeping us all happy and safe. I´ve never experienced such a dialogue box before, and doing it here on MR surprised me… Even if it had popped up on a different site, I would have turned to the knowledgeable MR members for answers.

I will certainly take full screenshots next time, and find out where the top banner ad links to.

I had the ad again after force-quitting Safari and going to the MR front page. As you can see from the screenshots I did get redirected, but I opted for no scanning. As it happens I did empty my cache as well straight after, but that was to clear any graphics, etc. before reloading a site I´m currently working on.

At least I am now wiser and much less worried. Thanks guys!

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's just begging to install spyware, the fact that it find 43 registry errors on a Mac is scary and shows it isn't doing anything. All those Windows users must have a hard time (especially if they don't understand computers much.)

13. Belly-laughs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

Agree. My main reason back in the day for using Macs was productivity (and this strange emotion) but it seems it has other benefits too.

14. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Wow...One more reason I am glad I took the plunge and contributed. Even if the ads do sneak through I don't see them!!! :D
    </Shameless Macrumors Contributing Plug>

15. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

that is a very very common winblows ad. it doesn't check for your browser/os

16. essemart macrumors newbie

macrumours & errorsafe

This is really bad. Its the first time I have been trapped closing windows and feeling likem y mac has a virus. Macrumours sort you site out.

I have taken you off my daily bookmark list.

17. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I posted about this in another thread, just reiterate I'm having the issue on the front page of MacRumors I can view the forum fine. This is on OS X and I'm from Australia.

Here is a link to a screenshot: http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2062/wtfam2.jpg

edit: I should add I have Safari set to block pop ups

18. Belly-laughs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Belly-laughs

OK, it´s happened again today. Not even all the tricks in the book prevented it from happening.

Every time I browsed to the front page I got the dialogue. I tried it on another Mac as well, same issue.

I got to this thread via Forum Spy.

I´ll edit with more screenshots if I can´t PM them to you Arn.

Edit: Arn, I´ve sent you an e-mail.

19. risc macrumors 68030

risc

HAHA ... I just got the pop up on the contribution link. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.