uops! they did it again

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Don't panic, Feb 9, 2005.

1. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

in a surprising turn of events, it appears the bush administration was not truthful in some of their pre-electoral assessments...

it gets better everyday...

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

3. Don't panic thread starter macrumors 603

Don't panic

:D beat you by two minutes

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Shocked...shocked I am! :eek:

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

They do seem to have a habit of spinning numbers. They lied to Congress but Congress is made of liars so in the end...........what happens? the u.s. taxpayer gets a little more shafted. Republicans and Democrats go to bed with a smile on their face.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

What does that mean? Just write the whole thing off because politicians are "crooked" and "beholden to special interests"?

While that may be true in a general sense, it conveniently lets the GOP and particularily the WH off-the-hook as far as accountability.

Sure, the Democrats may have voted for it (some), but when there is a problem like rising health care costs, which affects many people who vote, it would be political suicide to go against a heavily-marketed (and inaccurate) "Reform" of the problem.

Even though some Democrats wrote part of the bill, by the time it made it through the GOP Congress, it was basically their creation and was signed off on by Bush. The numbers were (purposefully) wrong to facillitate it's passage for political capital (and probably the old-fashioned kind). The responsibility for that lies firmly with the WH and the Congressional Leadership. Right?

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Democrats IIRC at least attempted to amend the bill to allow Medicare to negotiate prescription drug prices with the pharmaceutical companies. That effort was killed. I wonder how much money that little change would have saved the taxpayers?

Republicans have a tough time admitting it, but their party has become past-masters at manufacturing legislative gimmies for corporations, and that's one of the reasons our federal budget is so out of control.

8. maya macrumors 68040

maya

The USofA just seems to love the colour RED when it comes to numbers. ;) :)

note: people are now kicking themselves silly. ;)

9. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Yep, If all you listen to is spin (which seems to be most Americans) We're a nation of "Red"-necks, "White" nonvoters and "Blue"-blooded fops.

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

So hard to choose.

Okay, I'll go with "fop." I already carry a lace hanky up my shirt sleeve. ;)