Up the hdd on the iBook to 60 gigs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Steadmuffin, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Steadmuffin macrumors member

Hey guys, what's goin on. I like many other people here, will be buying an iBook soon. Does anyone recommend up-ing the base model to a 60 gig harddrive instead of the 30? I've been reading some reviews on it and I read somewhere that the iBook only has 19 gigs left out of the box (after OS X and all that stuff is installed). Anyone know if this is true?

2. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I would go for the upgrade. You never know when you're going to need it. I've been stuck in that position before. (Last year) I purchased an iBook and opted for the smaller drive. I paid for it dearly almost instantly (had some big design projects to be stored). I sold the iBook.

It's worth it.

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's always best to get as much hard drive space as possible on a laptop since it's so ridiculously difficult (expensive) to upgrade later on.

4. Steadmuffin thread starter macrumors member

5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

You're most welcome. Good luck on your purchase!

6. Hattig macrumors 65816

You need enough space to store your essential data.

But ... get a 7200RPM 2.5" hard drive for better performance if you can. Stick non-essential (i.e., only needed at home) data on a Firewire attached hard drive. Maybe get the 60GB update with the iBook, and at a later date upgrade the internal HD to 7200rpm and stick the old hard drive into a 2.5" firewire enclosure.

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I have a 40g HD with about 9g available. My music is about 15g right now. If I had to do it again I'd get the bigger HD. Right now I'm looking at getting my daughter a 80g Mac Mini so I can do some backups on it, possibly keep my music on it to free up my iBook space.

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

YES YES YES!

The ONLY thing that is driving me nuts on my current iBook is the 30GB HD.

Photos, music, apps, etc take up a lot of space, and even with an external drive, I wish I had gotten at least a 60GB. :(

9. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Whilst I know it's all about the performance, I think 5400 RPM is the sweet point between battery life and power for most laptops. But do go for as much as HD space as you can handle, you'll be surprised at how quickly you can fill it up!

10. Steadmuffin thread starter macrumors member

Yep, defenitley going to get the 60 giger then. Now I just have to play the waiting game until the damn thing gets updated, which hopefully will happen before school starts.

11. spellflower macrumors regular

Upgrade Hard Drive? Of course, but how?

I'll be buying an ibook soon too, and I definitley plan on upgrading the HD to at least 60g. But here's my concern: If I have apple do it and I recieve it with a few dead pixels, I have no recourse, whereas if I buy it stock, I can return it for a restocking fee if I find dead pixels. Then, once I get my hands on a book with a functioning screen, have a HD installed aftermarket. Does anyone have any opinions about the best way to do this? If someone other than apple does the install, does that void the warranty? Will I end up spending a ton more to have the HD upgraded after I buy it because I'll effectively be buying the useless 30g drive and then buying another, where I could have bought only one if I just had apple build it with the one I want? Where's the best place to buy aftermarket hardrives, anyway? and are they significantly cheaper, as with RAM? Whaddaya think?

12. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Aw comeon, a few dead pixels aren't that bad if they're not clumped. 2 is my limit.

I think if you BTO it, you can't return it or anything, only get it repaired.

13. Steadmuffin thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I too am worried about dead pixels. You'd think Apple would replace the iBook if there was even one. I get the feeling the won't though. I'm pretty much in the same position as you.

14. JoshRtek macrumors member

Call me impatient, but...

...(and I know this is an iBook thread)...I'm going to be ordering a 12" Powerbook next Friday (the 22nd, when my credit card rolls over :p ) and I plan on getting the 100 gig BTO option for the hard drive upgrade. I'd like to get the computer before I go on vacation with my family to Colorado, which is two weeks later from the order date (August 7th). Does anyone think I'll get it in time for when I go on vacation? Does ordering a BTO product with a student discount send it to the rear of the priority list? Thanks in advance...

15. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I was debating the hard drive as well. I think what I am going to do is go with the 14" iBook/Combo. With the EDU discount it is $1199 ($180 more than the 12" Combo with 60 GB upgrade). Plus the 14" comes with 512MB RAM, 60GB Hard drive and a 14" screen. Plus since it is stock, you would be able to return it. Now I just have to see if I like the screen as much as the 12".

16. deetschei macrumors member

upgrade

i was using the iBooks at the apple store today and thought i would check out their remaining capacity. without appearing to have anything really excessive installed, every iBook with a 30G hard drive was within 3G of being full! it was eye opening to say the least. :eek:

17. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

The 12" and 14" have the same screen resolution. This means you won't see anything more on the 14" than on the 12". Everything on the 14" will just be bigger and the pixels will be stretched. It's not worth the extra $.

Go for the 12" with 60GB, that's what I just ordered. If there's a problem, even if you can't bring it back, you can get it fixed. And no a few dead pixels don't bother me. More than 4 (which apple WILL replace) is what bothers me.

18. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

I also went for the 60gb and never regreted it. I wish that they had an even bigger hd when I bought mine actually since I am running out of space.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the dead pixels are a relative rarity, though, aren't they, on the 1024x768 screens? I think they happen far more frequently on the higher res screens.... The issue being that the process for the lower res screens is something that has existed for a long time and has been optimized... not just for Apple but for all customers of LCDs.

But I could certainly be wrong about that. At least, it seems that I have not seen people complain frequently on MR about dead pixels on iBooks or on the 12" PB, but rather have seen such threads typically focused on the ACD or the larger PBs....