Up to an hour more battery life...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxp1, Jan 24, 2007.

1. maxp1 macrumors regular

Feb 12, 2005
    Intel has released a new version of their 802.11n wireless card.

From http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/01/24/intel_launches_kedron/

An extra hour with extended range and throughput? That seems optimistic, but if true it would be great.
  2. phungy macrumors 68020

Dec 5, 2006
    An hour can make a huge difference. I guess we'll see with some testing if this is true.
  3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Dec 13, 2004
    idk...i don't think i get an extra hour of battery life on my pb when I completely turn off wireless...let alone using N vs G.
  4. extraextra macrumors 68000

Jun 29, 2006
    Yeah, their claim seems far-fetched. It's just like Apple's "6 hours of battery life" on the Macbook. I can get about 5 1/2 hours if I turn BT and Airport off, set the brightness lower than half, and have no applications open. Then the computer is just sitting idle, so obviously the battery would last awhile. Realistically it's like 3 1/2 hours.
  5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Jan 11, 2007
    North Central Florida
    My iBook will gain an hour with Airport turned off - probably more. I really need to put the new (recall replaced) one thru it's paces, but i was down to about 2 hours with Airport on - if i was lucky. And that was a battery that was hardly ever cycled.

It will be interesting to follow - all i know is my Dad is STILL ticked. He bought an HP Tablet a few months ago and now he wants N built-in and can't have it. LOL, he's none too happy that Apple stuck N in theirs, and INtel hadn't.
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Probably an extra hour if you set your Mac up doing nothing but full throttle file intranet transfers off battery and wifi. :D