Up-to-Date no box?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by fBaran, Oct 24, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2003
    I just got Panther 30mins ago :)D ), but it didn't come in a box. Just a slip with the CDs and the manual and coupons. Am I the only one? I thought I paid 20 bucks for the box too!
  2. macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2003
    i received the panther UTD without a box too. but i wasn't expecting one! to get panther for $33 CDN is a pretty sweet deal in my opinion, box or no box.. of course it would have been nice.

i doubt that apple would ship the UTDs in the full box..
  3. macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2002
    At home

How did you get it shipped to you? In the mail or UPS?
  4. macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
  5. macrumors 6502

May 30, 2003
    Connecticut, USA
    I recieved it this afternoon via FedEx.. upgraded.. and am using it now.

I also only recieved the CDs and booklet... but eh.. only $20
  6. macrumors 68000

May 18, 2003
    Are they only upgrade CDs, or are they full install CDs?
  7. thread starter macrumors regular

Oct 22, 2003
    Shipped Fed Ex. I think the CDs do full install, as well as archive and just upgrade. I don't really feel like knowing, if you catch my drift. But still, 20 bucks is awesome for an upgrade. I actually got really lucky (sorta). My parents bought an eMac the 2 of Oct, but it was defective (burn mark in screen), so we returned it on the 8 and got the free upgrade. I missed out on the new eMac deals, but I got w/ edu discount so no biggy. Recent switcher. OS X rocks my WORLD!
  8. macrumors 6502a

Aug 11, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Just in time ...

The FedEx truck just left my office and the oddest thing happened. The driver delivered two black cats. One was in a box and the other was snuggled in an envelope. I know it's close to Halloween. These two cats will look nice perched next to my eMac and G5 with spooky music playing. I can hardly wait to get them home and feed them. WOOO HOOO !!!!!
  9. macrumors 6502

May 30, 2003
    Connecticut, USA
    I didn't see the option to archive and install or to do a clean install...

So I just upgraded.. workin' fein so far
  10. macrumors newbie

May 23, 2003
    My Up-To-Date pack is happily doing an archive-and-install right now on the iMac we got it for. It seems to be the retail discs. I don't see anything calling it an upgrade...
  11. macrumors member

Oct 11, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    :-( Installed 10.3 with just upgrade - I bought my 12" PBook only 2 weeks ago haven't installed much. But now, Safari doesn't work :-(( I don't know which other apps are not working.

The online version of Safari is 1.0, which refuses to install. Any suggestions?
  12. macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2003
    the UTD discs can do a full install. if you click customize, there's an option for a clean install, but seeing as i don't want to reinstall all my apps, i just upgraded it. the performance on panther is amazing. all apps are much more responsive.
  13. macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2003
    Box or not, you people are so lucky. Not only has my Up-to-Date not arrived, but the status is still "Open". I am green with envy. But as long as you are enjoying it, I can vicariously be happy... ;)
  14. Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Re: Up-to-Date no box?

If you really want Mac OS boxes, I'll dig up and send you my Mac OS 7.6, 8.0, 8.5, and 9.0 boxes. :D

Be glad you're not adding to the wasted boxes problem. :D
  15. macrumors regular

Oct 23, 2003
    US of A
    Very true, you're not dealing with the tree huggers today. (jp!)

Um, could I put that upgrade CD on an iMac if i ordered it for the G5 with up-todate?

(in the even that i wouldn't put it on the g5, b/c i am soooo against software piracy :wink:)
  16. macrumors 6502a

Jun 26, 2003
    To: SwitchingGeek

Safari 1.0 does not work on 10.3.
    10.3 includes Safari 1.1
  17. macrumors demi-god

Feb 9, 2003
    Erie, PA
    Re: Up-to-Date no box?

Noramlly the UP-TO-DATE packages do not come in the original box. Mac OS 10.1 upgrade came in a nice folder, but in the past they only came with book (coupons if it was a newer OS), and manuals.

18. macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2003
  19. macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

Mar 29, 2002
    Rohnert Park, CA
    You have to have OSX installed on that patition though, you cannot just install on a blanck patition.

20. macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Dec 6, 2002
    Washington State University
    Full instal CD's. But the first one says "Upgrade" on it.

FedEx, padded envelope.
  21. macrumors newbie

Jul 20, 2003
    So does anyone know what it is that won't let you install the Up-to-date discs on a freshly formatted drive? I hate to think that when I want to change my partitions that I have to install 10.2 and then install the Up-to-date discs to have panther up and running.
  22. macrumors member

Aug 24, 2003
  23. macrumors newbie

Apr 17, 2003
    the up-to-date cds are exactly the same as the cds that come in the retail box.