Up to date not on Refurb?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by benwa02, Apr 27, 2005.

1. benwa02 macrumors 6502

I just ordered a Dual 1.8 out of the refurb section this morning for $1500. Shortly after I called Apple up and asking about getting Tiger tossed in since I just placed the order and he said ok until I mentioned it was from the refurb section. He then said refurbs wont get the up-to-date program. True? I just went to the site and printed out the up-to-date program.

Requirements: Must be purchased after April 12, 2005 and the computer does not currently come with Tiger. So the date of purchase and the computer marketing part number to check and see if it qualifies for the program.

Would this marketing part number even tell if it is a refurb? I dont see how they could tell the difference.

Qualifying 1.8 PM computers:
    M9454LL/A Z0AA PowerMac G5 1.8GHz
    M9555LL/A Z0AN PowerMac G5 1.8GHz

Thanks for any help. I figure I am just going to fax over the form and see what happens.

2. benwa02 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't bump a thread, it gets threads closed quite quick.

If somebody knows, they'll answer.

Bumping a thread, makes people not want to bother answering at all.

4. bksmith macrumors newbie

I purchased a G4 iMac about a month ago on the refurbished section of Apple and to my surprise they threw a brand new package of iLife 05 cd's in the box.

Maybe they will do the same for you with Tiger!!!

5. benwa02 thread starter macrumors 6502

sweeet. well i hope so, cuz I wasnt expecting them not to.

6. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

I believe the Apple rep was correct. A while ago I bought a leftover new, unopened 800 MHz G4 iMac from SmallDog, which at the time was a generation old (the 1.0-1.25 GHz ones were current at the time). When Panther was released soon thereafter, I just assumed I wouldn't qualify because the computer I bought was not current. However, when I checked with Apple, they told me that since the computer was NEW when I bought it (even though it was not current), I still qualified for the up-to-date program. This leads to me to believe that refurbished products don't count.

7. mac-er macrumors 65816

I've seen refurbished machines listed during during OS transitions.

Usually, it will say that the old OS is installed, and, under the "what's in the box" section, it would say "Panther Install CDs" or whatever the new OS was.

8. benwa02 thread starter macrumors 6502

finally foundd something in those stupid terms and conditions. "This offer is not valid on the purchase of used, auction, or demonstration equipment" I guess I will assume that this includes refurbished. Thing is I actually found the dual1.8 for $1500 in the sale section which I assume is new and prolly would qualify but I had already ordered from the refurb section since it was the first thing I saw.

I dont see how apple would know though if I were to fill out the Up-to-Date form and send it in. The only thing that would do it is the Marketing part number.

9. benwa02 thread starter macrumors 6502

ya. I was just seeing if I would be able to do the Up-to-date program and get Tiger for just shipping since I just purchased a PM after the announce of Tiger. I was just unaware that it excluded refurbs for this program.

10. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Attached to the serial number which you are required to enter is the entire history of the computer. One time I was sold a "new" iBook by a third-party reseller and when I opened it I was sure it looked used. I called Apple about the problem after the reseller denied it, and they confirmed that the computer was refurbished after they looked up the serial number.

11. benwa02 thread starter macrumors 6502

wow that sucks. what happened after that?

It looks as though I wont get Tiger for free so I guess I will order it. I do get an edu discount so 70$ is cheap and I did get a sweet deal on my PM so I guess its not too bad.

12. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

Yeah, it did suck. The reseller and Apple kept telling me it was the other company's problem, but eventually the reseller let me exchange it for a different computer.

$70 for Tiger is not bad at all. And there is no need to upgrade right away. I used Tiger today on the demo machines at an Apple store and I didn't even realize it was Tiger during the first 5 minutes of using it! Really, it seems exactly like Panther until you open up Mail.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

iLife '05 will be included, probably on an upgrade CD. The computer itself may be updated, but the software restore will come with 10.3.4 (or .6, depending on the model). Before you buy Tiger, wait to see what you can do after you receive it (and after Tiger is officially released). Call them again and see if you can do the up-to-date. If the first rep says no, call back again, or go to the store in person. I'm sure you'll get a nice person somewhere who will help you out.

Otherwise, $69 isn't bad.

14. benwa02 thread starter macrumors 6502

well i cancelled my order this morning on the refurb dual1.8....................

and got a brand new dual1.8 for the exact same price; $1500. I was unaware that you could get an edu discount in the sale section. So now I am eligible for the up-to-date program and purchased tiger for a whoppin $10.45. WOOOOT WOOOT!

15. swissmann macrumors 6502a

swissmann

An Apple store rep told me that the refurbs don't qualify for the up to date program but you never know what they put in the box.

16. benwa02 thread starter macrumors 6502

ya i figured there might be a slight chance but i avoided that and got a brand new PM for the same price as the refurb and tiger no questions asked.