Upcoming Apple TV iOS Update to Unlock Bluetooth Keyboard Support

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 8, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last year, it was revealed that Apple may have been working on offering Bluetooth keyboard pairing with the second-generation Apple TV.
    9to5Mac now reports that Apple seems ready to deploy Bluetooth into its Apple TV products, as the latest Apple TV developer beta now allows you to pair a Bluetooth keyboard to a 2nd or 3rd generation Apple TV.

Once you connect a Bluetooth keyboard to your Apple TV, you can completely control it without using the included remote or an iOS device. The arrow keys are used for navigation, the return key is used to play or pause and the escape key acts as the "menu" or up "one level" button. And of course, searching becomes easier with a full hardware keyboard.

[​IMG]
    The update only allows Bluetooth keyboards, so pairing Bluetooth speakers, mice or even Macs will not work. 9to5Mac noted that they were able to pair a Logitech Bluetooth keyboard to the Apple TV succesfully, so the update isn't limited to Apple keyboards.

Although currently limited in functionality to a simple keyboard, it's thought that eventually Apple could open up Bluetooth support to allow a mic-based remote or iOS device to use Siri with Apple TV.

Article Link: Upcoming Apple TV iOS Update to Unlock Bluetooth Keyboard Support

2. macrumors regular

dweezle3

3. macrumors 68000

dXTC

I have an Apple wireless keyboard that came with my current iMac that never got used (I purchased an extra wired extended keyboard with it). If this happens, this would be beyond awesome.

4. macrumors 68020

Xavier

It would be a welcome update from me!

5. macrumors 6502a

hopefully it also comes with the feature where it actually plays half the stuff I try to watch on Hulu Plus. Two AppleTVs, both of them fail on the same videos.

6. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

I have my AppleTV set up to respond to my Comcast remote when it's set to AUX. it's vastly better than the included Apple remote range wise (I can use it from 30' away... My apple remote only works from about 10' away.)

I've never managed to get the iOS app to work...

7. macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

8. macrumors 68000

About time.. Been able to do this for a while with my jailbroken Apple TV. Very convenient.

Feels like there's so much potential for the Apple TV but I guess they're moving cautiously.

9. macrumors 68000

oneMadRssn

Maybe someone can find an bluetooth security exploit and finally jailbreak the atv3

10. macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

Meh, I am still waiting for them to update the iPad Remote app so that there is more interfacing. It would be nice to see a lot of feedback on the iPad itself rather than the TV, letting you navigate menus by looking at the iPad instead of the TV.

11. macrumors regular

Apple TV

What is the difference between an Apple TV and a Mac Mini?

12. macrumors 65816

No difference.

13. macrumors 6502

bigandtasty

NO kidding! Been waiting for this for the longest. I like the remote it ships with for basic point/click but having to re-enter my password to get back on my network when switching over from goflex satellite takes forever! with a keyboard I could jump back and forth with ease.

Thanks Apple, release update at will!

14. macrumors member

CindyRed

This is not the update you're looking for.

Still waiting for third party apps...

15. macrumors 68000

One streams iTunes content and has netflix and hulu plus streaming. One is a Mac computer. They are completely different products targeted at completely different uses.

16. macrumors 68000

This is what I am waiting for. Until this happens my Xbox will be my TV set top box. I dont have cable and use my Xbox for everything. Apple needs apps before that changes.

17. macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yes! The one thing I wish I could do on the Remote app is turn AirPlay on. Right now if I'm in my bedroom and i want to listen to music from the AppleTV I have to walk down the hall to the great room and tap option on my iPhone and look at the TV to navigate to "Speakers ..." LAME.

18. macrumors 601

Icaras

Me too. No need to spend an additional $70 for this if you have an iOS device already.

19. APlotdevice, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012

macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

It was said before, but it bares repeating: finally!

Now I just want that remote...

There's also no need to spend an additional $70 if you already own a Bluetooth keyboard. :rolleyes:

20. macrumors 6502a

About ***** time. Now it won't take me 10 minutes to type in a password or search for something.

21. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

I find that I frequently have to reset my router in order for the remote app to recognize other devices on my network.

22. macrumors newbie

Does this mean you will be able to use your macbook's keyboard with bluetooth to control the apple tv? obviously my macbook has bluetooth and a keyboard...but i dont have a spare bt keyboard laying around

23. macrumors 65816

24. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

Well there are applications for the Mac that allow it to mimic a BT keyboard.

25. macrumors 601

Icaras

Sorry, I was referring to the Apple aluminum keyboard only.