Upcoming Hardware

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by xisforextreme, Jun 1, 2005.

1. xisforextreme macrumors member

Nov 5, 2004
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    I don't know if this means anything to anybody, especially since I live in a relatively internationally unimportant country (Malaysia), but my local Apple retailer has suddenly dropped the prices on iBooks, Mac minis and Powerbooks. The price drop is quite a lot, around 15%, and there ar eno price drops on anything else. Now this may be nothing, but maybe it is an indication of what is going to be relased at WWDC, and they're trying to clear out their old stock.
    I think that the owner of the shop may have an inside line into an Apple manufacturer, after all, a lot of hardware is made here in good old Malaysia, like the Intel Centrino processor Dell laptops, even some Apple mice and other stuff.
    Any opinions?
  2. Willy S macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    Money talks!

You cannot find a better indicator than this. Why would they otherwise drop the prices significantly just a week before WWDC?

This is good news and I look forward to seeing what happens. :)
  3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    Powerbooks, now that'd be really sweet. I might even think about getting a new one...
  4. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

Jul 17, 2002
    nar in Gainsborough, me duck
    does this retailer have a website? If so can you provide a link to the relevant price drops? Hope this does indicate something new on the iBook, Powerbook and mac mini front. Not long to wait now.
  5. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2004
    Resellers only tend to find out at the same time as the public, though.

In addition - he could be dropping his prices in expectation of an update; that is, because he thinks there will be one, not because he has concrete proof.

6. JonMaker macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2004
    ... but who is going to complain about price drops? :D
  7. Willy S macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    Yes, but 15% is quite generous and if there will be upgrades, he could still sell them with 20% discount. So he wouldn't be gaining much from a pure speculation.

This WWDC is next Monday and I wonder when Apple will announce upgrades or new products if they will do it now. Will they announce them a few days prior to WWDC or just during the WWCD?
  8. Willy S macrumors 6502

May 8, 2005
    Well I went to thinksecret and they are not reporting about any rumor about any updates, like they did when the iMacs and eMacs were updated last month.

So, I wouldn´t hold my breath. A better timing for Apple is probably in Paris this fall.

If Apple isn´t going to upgrade Tiger or iBook now, I´m getting an eMac as a second computer. I´m just wondering whether to order now or wait a few days...
  9. yoda13 macrumors 65816

Sep 26, 2003
    wait a few days....the only thing you will have lost will be time ;)
  10. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    SOunds promising for updates in the next week or so....
  11. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    15% is a very nice discount.

I would expect that the majority of the updates will be made by Steve Jobs at the WWDC Keynote. It's possible for Apple to announce during the week also.

I would count on what Think Secret has to say one way or the other. They are holding off on any predictions due to the lawsuit by Apple.