Upcoming iPhone-Compatible Sony Lens Attachment Detailed in Leaked Manual

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 16, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Sony is crafting a new high-end lens system designed to work with smartphones, according to documents and photos published by Sony Alpha Rumors. First unveiled in photos last week, Sony's lens accessories are actually fully functioning standalone cameras that are designed to attach magnetically to an iPhone or Android phone and connect to an app via Bluetooth.

[​IMG]
    Leaked manual pages suggest that there are two lenses in the works, based on existing Sony hardware. The DSC-QX100 (featuring components from the RX100M II camera) comes equipped with a 20.2-megapixel sensor and a f/1.8 Carl Zeiss lens with 3.6x zoom.

The lower-end DSC-QX10 (with components from the WX150 camera) includes an 18-megapixel CMOS sensor and an f/3.5-3.9 lens.

Both lenses feature a power button, microphone, display panel (with indicators for battery life and SD card), a tripod mount, a dedicated shutter button, a multifunctional jack, and a zoom lever. The higher end version also comes with a ring control.

[​IMG]
    It is unclear how Sony intends to price these extravagant smartphone accessories, but the existing camera hardware retails for $400 to $750. The new lenses are expected to be unveiled at an upcoming September 4 media event.

Article Link: Upcoming iPhone-Compatible Sony Lens Attachment Detailed in Leaked Manual

2. macrumors 601

Schtumple

Before anyone starts to say how needless this might be, can we all just stop and take a moment to realise how mind blowing this is, an entire camera (with bluetooth) has been built into a lens housing...

3. macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Bad A$$!

4. jtp098, Aug 16, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013

macrumors demi-god

Pretty cool idea and fitting it all around the lens is neat. But yea........ seems pointless to me.. glorified camera with an app to control... it is cool though :p.

5. macrumors 6502

Sign me up, definitely buying one when it comes out!

6. macrumors member

Sony clearly have seen which way the wind is blowing with regards to point and click cameras and come up with a rather ingenious solution.

"Here's something that allows you to use your smartphone to take better photos when the built in one doesn't cut it and it'll go with you when you upgrade your phone"

I for one think its genius

7. macrumors 603

appleguy123

I would buy this if it's not prohibitively expensive.

8. macrumors 6502a

fruitpunch.ben

But it is, isn't it?
    What on earth is the scenario in which a camera magnetically attached to your phone and controlled by an app is easier and better to use than a full camera 5mm thicker?
    You still need to carry two things around, because you're not going to keep this on your phone all the time. So given that, just buy sony's thinnest camera (I believe they have one at around 10mm thin) and carry them both!

9. Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Not to mention you would need to attach/detach the lens, connect Bluetooth, and likely open an app if you want a viewfinder. That's a lot of steps compared to just flipping on a power button.

10. macrumors regular

Besides the fact that it will probably be so expensive that it won't be worth it, it'll be something good to face the rise of Samsung phones, and Androids in general.

But of course, you'll be bound to see Android to encorporate such features soon as-well...

11. macrumors demi-god

agreed! now what would have been cool is if they made a case out of this no bigger then the mophie cases. but with all the specs this lens has :cool:. probably impossible though.

then again as you mentioned they already have the Cyber-shot Digital Camera TX55 which could work in my idea haha. but still have to fit the lens somewhere.

12. macrumors member

This rumoured Sony lens/camera does work on android though...

13. macrumors 6502a

For people that enjoy hiking and taking pictures in places where they cant carry a high end camera this would be a nice substitute.

Would you rather carry a bulky body of a DSLR or your phone and a lens?

Granted you will probably get a better picture with your DSLR, this will probably yield decent pictures.

14. macrumors 6502a

No, it's not. You want the iPhone OS and apps, but you want the Sony optics and sensor. Married together, it's so much better that having them apart.

I have a ridiculously expensive nikon D800e+lenses, and I love the quality. But I hate the fact that I can't easily use the results with my smartphone in the field. I tried EYE-FI, that's NOT the solution.

15. macrumors 6502

Yeah what's mind blowing, is that Sony is willing to devote so much time and money on products aimed at tiny demographics. Someone at the top must have some serious delusions about the potential success of these new products. They're also making their own smart watch (flop) and a convertible laptop/tablet (aka MS surface). With all that engineering, manufacturing, design expertise at their disposal, you'd think they could just focus on one product (smartphone, laptop, tablet, etc.) and make a really killer device.

This product is great for professional instagrammers, and Chicago Sun Times journalists but that's about it.

16. macrumors 6502a

TimTheEnchanter

I've been wanting someone to pursue the WVIL concept. Sony has answered (sort of). Hopefully the interface will be as slick as this...
    http://vimeo.com/22134219

17. macrumors 6502a

I haven't read anything that say it HAS to be attached to the phone to use it. It may be that the phone is simply needed only if you need to review the photos. In which case, I'd say it's a pretty intriguing device - a body-less camera.

18. macrumors 6502a

It won't be as bad as the PS3 random number generator, but I don't think this will blow the doors off on sales:

[​IMG]

19. macrumors 65816

Tankmaze

I can see this being used because people want to use instagram, etc that want to quickly share photos with apps (with better quality photo with this device presumably), but with the iphone 5S coming with supposedly better camera, this accesory might become moot (although I can see the lens is bigger, but still bulky).

I personally wont use it, because I usually take quick picture from the lock screen. With this device have to attached that bulky, not a chance I will use it.

20. macrumors 6502

My question is whether the bluetooth connection will support a live view support for photos and video? And if that's the case then how will the battery life on these be?

21. macrumors 6502a

For those that forgot or were unaware of what innovation is, I submit the above.

22. macrumors regular

Problems:

Where do you keep the lens when it's not on the iPhone? (Not near anything that the lens' magnet will wipe, I hope!)

Guess it won't work with the rumored plastic iPhones.

Amazingly high dork factor. Seriously, if you're going to take the time to attach this to your iPhone, carry a point-and-shoot camera around instead and actually get decent pics.

23. macrumors member

Never mind the Bluetooth capabilities. Never mind SD card. Never mind the cost of it...How in Gods name is going to adhere to an aluminum case or a plastic case by a freakin magnet?!?!?!?!:confused:

24. macrumors 6502a

Seriously, what's the point? I'd rather just get an olloclip. :p

25. macrumors 6502a

olowott

love the idea :)
    the price :(