Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
This is real news.

This makes iPhone+ practical.
Maybe. I'd be surprised.

The ARM11 core supposed to be in use in the iPhone is characterized as requiring a worst-case 0.45 milliwatts per megahertz. Assuming a 620 MHz operating speed (the maximum characterized speed I could find in a quick search) that works out to 0.279 W.

These new Intel CPUs are rated at a lowball figure of around 25 W. That's almost a hundredfold increase in electrical requirements over the ARM processors currently believed to be in use. You'd need a notebook-class battery in order for it to be functional for any useful amount of time.

But maybe I'm jumping the gun with me criticism here... How big are you expecting an iPhone+ to be?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
This may be stupid question but I have the current iMac with the BTO 2.8 ghz processor. As far as I knew the iMacs used a mobile chipset but according to that chart, the current fastest mobile processor is a 2.6 ghz. What am I missing?
The current iMac uses the 2.8 GHz X7900.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
This may be stupid question but I have the current iMac with the BTO 2.8 ghz processor. As far as I knew the iMacs used a mobile chipset but according to that chart, the current fastest mobile processor is a 2.6 ghz. What am I missing?

The processor runs too hot from what I hear. That may keep me waiting for a dual 2.8GHz chip in the MBP. Cooling the thing would be terrible.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Who cares about the MBP.

Just about everyone waiting to get something faster than the current SR MBPs and anyone that doesn't want to pay full price for 6 months+ old technology.

IMAC UPDATE PLEASE APPLE I BEG YOU !

now that thats out of my system....those cpus look great!

WHY ARE THEY STILL 800MHZ Bus tho can some one explain maybe?

The iMac just got updated and wont' see anything until April or May. It just got updated not too long ago. Apple needs to update its PRO systems before it even touches the consumer stuff.

Maybe if Apple would get off their ass and actually design a decent cooling solution for their laptops...

Yeah.... they do need to do that, but I am sure it's pretty hard trying to cool off a machine that's 1" thin. I would rather have a machine that's just as thick as the MacBook with a better cooling system so I can shove that dual 2.8GHz processor in it.

Butthead

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2006
X = Extreme series which cost $1k quantity as well as having higher TDP, meaning likely too hot for Apple laptops.

If engineering samples are only that much faster for the X-series, then T9500 Penryn's will likely only give minor speed bump :(...wait for Monteviña chipset before upgrading.

ckurowic

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
those will be hot!

How? I don't see a significant difference in the specs, and its not like Apple would put the 2.8 in the MacBooks anyway, only the MBP. I just don't see how the same bus speed, a higher top end by 200MHz, and 2 more MB in the cache is going to give you that "NEATO!" performance boost.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

The chart lists the current fastest mobile processor used in the MacBook Pro, not the current fastest mobile processor available. They should be comparing apple to apple, i.e. the 3dmark06 benchmark for the Penryn X9000 to the current Merom X7900 (available in the high end iMac). I bet the gap would be eliminated as the only advantage the X9000 has over the current fastest Core 2 Extreme processor is the extra 2MB L2.

ckurowic

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2007
Just about everyone waiting to get something faster than the current SR MBPs and anyone that doesn't want to pay full price for 6 months+ old technology.

The iMac just got updated and wont' see anything until April or May. It just got updated not too long ago. Apple needs to update its PRO systems before it even touches the consumer stuff.

Yeah.... they do need to do that, but I am sure it's pretty hard trying to cool off a machine that's 1" thin. I would rather have a machine that's just as thick as the MacBook with a better cooling system so I can shove that dual 2.8GHz processor in it.

Yeah but what are the chances of Apple putting a dual 2.8 in the consumer grade MacBooks? I just don't see it happening until the MBP's have some crazy quad core 3.0GHz processor in them, know what I mean? That is, the consumer grade Apple products always lag waaaay behind the pro stuff for a reason, to make the Pro users feel like they are getting more by paying a premium. I'm not saying the pro stuff isn't good, I believe it is. But still, you have to have a significant difference between the pro and consumer lines, there always has been, always will, and hey, its just good business practice (for the business, not for you, but remember its not about you anyway).

As far as the cooling system goes, meh, I'm not going to dwell on it. I like laptops, but when do I honestly need to use one? Maybe if I am going on a trip and need an e-mail center or to watch a DVD on the plane ride. I don't care much about laptop performance, thats why I still use an iBook G4 1.2GHz. I DO care about my desktop performance, however. Don't get me wrong, laptops are great to have, but I'm not sure why people are demanding top-o-the-line insano processors in them....they are mobile computers, since when does anything in the "mobile version" offer the same performance as the original stationary model? Any laptop i have ever used was slower than its desktop counterpart, yes even brand new Pro stuff from Apple.

If I had to guess-- power. The chipset and memory are a huge power consumer, clocking faster will just drain away the battery. They can squeeze a little more speed out of cache, apparently, before going to faster memory so they took that step first. My guess is they'll boost the memory bus when DDR3 goes mainstream.

It's not just about heat, it's about battery life and size. Apple is fixated on making things thin. More power means more cooling and bigger batteries-- all of which leads to thick. My vote would be keep the same depth and boost the run time, but Apple seems to be happy with their current battery life and are more interested in slimming things down.

The battery is what holds up laptops right now. I agree, CPU's are fast enough for at least a few more years (if they stopped developing which they won't, obviously). Lets focus on the flash HDD's, batteries, etc.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
That's good to know. I'm on the same 1ghz PB G4, and I was wondering how Leopard would do on it. How much RAM do you have?

I may need to hold out for the next iteration, and it would be nice to know I could upgrade to Leopard in the meantime...

i have 768mb of RAM. my hard-drive got screwed so i put in a 160gb 7200, and now my computer sleeps whenever it like because of heat issues. I'm about to buy a 4th battery, and i have so many screws missing in this thing i'm amazed it hasn't fallen apart.

That said... it runs perfectly for what i need it to, and why bother upgrading just yet?? Leopard runs fine, a couple of weird things going on... not sure whether they're just PPC bugs or just leopard bugs. i'm sure they'll get ironed out - i just hope they bother for the PPC people! Careful if you buy a new hard drive, and get some more ram if you don't have enough. i have seen a slight performance boost with 10.5.1

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
45nm is the size of the process technology Intel uses to make their chips, usually referred to as a "die-shrink". Basically, 45nm is the size of the smallest components on the chips. This decrease in physical size allows the chip to have a higher transistor density, use less energy, be more energy efficient per mhz, etc. The decreased power consumption allows the chips to run at a higher clock speed and consume the same amount of energy or keep/lower the clock speed and gain better battery life for a laptop.

Right now Intel has three groups of Core 2 mobile processors.
The standard Core2 Duo mobile processors which have a power rating of ~34W. There are also two categories of lower voltage chips which run much slower and cooler, but they are not used in most laptops except for small subnotebooks. (Intel Core2 Duo Low voltage (LV) and Ultra-Low Voltage (ULV)

The new "Penryn" standard line of processors will run at 35W and 29W.
In addition to the two low voltage lines, there is a new category of "medium-voltage" processors which have a 25W TDP, but which retain most of the speed, cache size, FSB speed, etc.. Which means they may show up standard laptops. I think these will be the best fit for a subnotebook or long running macbook.

In addition to the die-shrink, Penryn brings many new enhancements to the chip architecture itself, including SSE4 which will speed up multimedia-type operations (video encoding, audio encoding, rendering) for applications that are updated for it.

thank you.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

Why don't you wait for Montevina in third quarter 2008? The yet unnamed 2.8GHz with 1066MHz front side bus has a TDP of 35W, cool enough to place in the MBP. You already have a decent MBP and I doubt they'll make big changes to it until then.

Norris3eb

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2007
Dallas, TX
Scenario:

College student has funds to purchase Mac, but is distraught by all of the upgrade talk of the MBP. Classes start Jan. 14th. Should he order current model of MBP now, or wait in hopes of getting a Penryn?

If I order a current model, is there any way I can exchange my buy for a new one when they are released?

Thoughts.

lasuther

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2004
Grand Haven, Michigan
Scenario:

College student has funds to purchase Mac, but is distraught by all of the upgrade talk of the MBP. Classes start Jan. 14th. Should he order current model of MBP now, or wait in hopes of getting a Penryn?

If I order a current model, is there any way I can exchange my buy for a new one when they are released?

Thoughts.

The processors are expected to be released in January. They could be released later. And even when they are release, it could take months before it makes it into the MacBook Pro. Just ask the people who are still waiting on new Mac Pros to be released with the chip released in November. And even after this update, you really want to wait for the Montevina chip in late 2008.

I recommend buying at the last possible moment you can, keeping it as long as you can, then selling it for a new one.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
So far this is just another speed bump, does not deserve a KeyNote. I really would love a cristal ball to see what is coming down Jan 15.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Yeah but what are the chances of Apple putting a dual 2.8 in the consumer grade MacBooks?

I was talking about the MacBook Pros.

Why don't you wait for Montevina in third quarter 2008? The yet unnamed 2.8GHz with 1066MHz front side bus has a TDP of 35W, cool enough to place in the MBP. You already have a decent MBP and I doubt they'll make big changes to it until then.

I might just have too if I need it in January. I hope that they give the 2.6 standard on the high-end, if they do, then I will just grab that one.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
not for a long time....

So, any of these might be going in the macbook?

Apple's M.O. is to put new tech into the MacBook Pro long before it ends up in the MacBook.

I'd expect a Jan-Feb announcement that Penryn Mobile will be in the MBP, then June or July before a MacBook upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.