Upcoming Powerbook Update: Yes/No?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Pux, May 2, 2005.

  1. Pux macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    #1
    Hey Guys.

    I know that there's a lot of rumors regarding the Powerbook updates going around out there. Before you flame me, I have done a fair bit of research but I'm not into the mac-world just yet, so I thought I'd ask for your advice too.

    It seems that the Powerbook update cycle is calling for action in the near future. They released the new PBs in Feb but only with slight modifications, speedwise. My question is:

    Will Apple update the Powerbooks (G5 or Dual G4 - an update is an update) in the near future? I'm planning on getting a powerbook and I want to hear your opinion on the update-situation. If I go and buy a PB now and they release a new generation of them in two months, it'd suck as I can easily wait that long and maybe buy one of their then "outdated" models for much cheaper than the current prices.

    I know that technology moves faster than my income, and I can never be up-to-date on everything, but still it's nice to feel like you're getting something for your $.

    Thx in advance guys.
     
  2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

    macbaseball

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2005
    Location:
    Northern California
    #2
    I don't think you will see anything for a while. It's too soon for an update, and there are too many machine ahead of the PB. The only possibility is an update to the 17 inch screen, but even that is unlikely. Just buy one, you won't regret it.
     
  3. munkle macrumors 68030

    munkle

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2004
    Location:
    On a jet plane
    #3
    It's unlikely you're going to see a PB update for awhile. It hasn't been that long since the last revision and there are plenty of machines ahead of it in the update queue.
     
  4. metsfan489 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2005
    #4
    May i ask what computers are ahead in the update queue?

    The iMacs and eMacs are going to updated real soon. (5 - 7 day ship time is a given)

    Powermacs were just updated last week

    Mac Mini is a low priced computer to do simple tasks like browsing, email, etc. Too many people are confusing it for a mid-priced computer to do complex tasks. It is fine for its intended purpose and performs exceedingly well at what it does. No need for an update yet, except maybe a ram upgrade.

    The ibook is the only computer left and any update would trip over the powerbook.

    If we are going to see anything, it would be a major powerbook revision at WWDC. It is june 6th which is a little over a month away and I'm waiting for then to make my powerbook purchase.
     
  5. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

    grapes911

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2003
    Location:
    Citizens Bank Park
    #5
    You can ask, and I'll direct you to here. :D
     
  6. themacman macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Location:
    kc
    #6
    a guy from the apple store told me that we would not see powerbook updates until the holiday season.
     
  7. metsfan489 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2005
    #7
    Pux: I would at least wait till WWDC on June 6th. It is a little more than a month away and its the most likely place for a powerbook update. You said there is no rush, so you might as well wait until then to be sure. This way you won't be dissapointed if you get one now and a new one comes out next month.
     
  8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

    grapes911

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2003
    Location:
    Citizens Bank Park
    #8
    The people at the apple store know just as little as us. They aren't told of an update until we are. They wait for the apple store site to go down, then they check a private site for the update. Its like 10 mins before us. He is just guessing.
     
  9. arribadia macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 5, 2005
    #9
    I reckon we should see new PBs in August/September latest..

    The new Freescale chips (lower power consumption, 200mhz FSB) is in production now, and these chips are pretty much pin compatible with the current G4s.

    PBs may be selling well now, but that's only because of Tiger. The general consensus is they are pretty underpowered. I'm sure Apple will do yet another update as soon as they can to pull buck$ from the wallets of that crowd.
     
  10. progx macrumors regular

    progx

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2003
    Location:
    Western NY
    #10
    you guys may think this a little overbearing (and possibly wishful thinking), but the Powerbook G5 will make it's debut this year in my opinion.

    freescale has been all talk with their dualcore G4, that would most likely be in the cards for the iBook, eMac, and Mac mini. i guess someone said, in this thread, testing for that is next year.

    last i knew, was this recent Power Mac upgrade, the processor was ready to be pressed into small portable pro laptops. i can be wrong, but the G5 is ready for the PowerBook.

    i do think WWDC is a huge possibility, since the Power Mac, iMac, and eMac have been eliminated from that possibility. the iBook will probably get a revision during that time. but, the Powerbook has had merger updates, so maybe it is time for an overhaul. the definite points are: superdrive, processor, video card, OS, screen resolution (HD support). i think the Powerbook G5 is coming to us on June 6th, remember, it was less than two years from the Power Mac G4 until we saw the Powerbook G4.

    i'm in the market for one as well, and i'm really hoping for a G5 portable. the Powerbook G4s seem to be a slight rip-off in my opinion. a 200Mhz FSB on Mac G4, sorry buds, it'll be deadlocked at 167Mhz; not to mention Apple doesn't post the bus speeds for the Powerbook G4 on their Powerbook tech specs.

    i do agree with you Pux, there is a major update due in the Powerbook line. G5 all the way!
     
  11. sammyman macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 21, 2005
    #11
    What would be the main differences with a dualcore G4 and a G5? Would there be a big difference in performance? Would Tiger be better or more optimized on either system?
     
  12. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

    buryyourbrideau

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2005
    Location:
    Chicago
    #12
    IMO: no G5 til next year. the PB would be too clunky and hard to cool at this point and apple is not going to make something that is thicker than a current ibook or PB because thats just not their style. doubtful for the dual g4 as well. they just updated and they are selling well. if they updated again so soon, they would not see much of a gain as people are buying the new PB like hotcakes. earliest i would say is holiday. thats if we get lucky.
     
  13. tdewey macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2003
    #13

    I expect dual-core this year, if only because AMD/Intel will be releasing dual-core mobile chips.

    I'd rather have a dual-core G4 than a G5 at this point. Sure the 64 bit operation would be nice--but isn't necessary for what I do.

    Dual-core G4 + faster bus and I'll buy a 15" same day they announce.

    A better GPU would be nice too. The 9700 is a decent chip, but I'd like to see them move to replacable GPUs (PCI Express). Especially since they're offloading to the GPU. This won't happen, but what the hey, a man can dream.

    Edit:
    Of course even if they didn't go with replacable GPU's, a dual-core g4 + faster bus + PCI-E X800 + 7200 RPM HD--would be the dream machine.

    Edit2:
    Failed to answer the main question.

    I belive that new Powerbooks will be introduced at WWDC (June) and Paris (Sep?). I don't think the entire line will get overhauled, for WWDC, I'm just expecting to see the 17" PB get dual-core + HD display (or maybe just HD display).

    Jobs will rave about "The future is dual-core, etc., etc.,"

    In Paris I would expect the 15" to also get dual core + better display (probably not HD) leaving the 12" as the only single core PB.

    I don't (and I think most people don't) expect G5 PB's until 2006. So--if you're not going to buy a 17", you're probably good buying a 12" or 15" now--why wait six months just because something 'may' happen. If you were planning to buy a 17" you may want to wait for WWDC to see what happens.

    See the HD powerbook thread for the source of the 17" HD.
     
  14. Danzsupreme macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2005
    #14


    The people at the Apple store are liers, all they want to do is make you buy a computer now. The MyAPPLE people are even worse they'll tell you nothing will ever be updated
     
  15. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #15
    I'm with everyone else, waiting till after WWDC in June would be very prudent. You just never know what Steve might announce.
     
  16. Koodauw macrumors 68040

    Koodauw

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2003
    Location:
    Madison
    #16
    The timing is partially right.

    Many people have been waiting for the next gen. of Notebook proccessors. That timing is right. However the proccessors are not yet ready. I am sure once they are, apple will update the PBs. When is that? Not many people know. I'd say right now its about 60-40, that the next update will just be more single core G4s. Sad, but I think thats what will happen. A used Rev B, or C PB would be a good value right now, and you could sell it off when new PBs are anounced if you like the specs.
     
  17. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    Location:
    La Mesa, Ca
    #17
    mmm mabye i will wait until July at latest to see if they do and what updates they do to the ibooks...

    Hope: 64mb Video card
    Bigger hard drives
    Um faster Prossesor

    Then i would buy this one as long as price dosn't go thew roof..
     
  18. itsbetteronamac macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2003
    #18
    Ugg.... I really hope they update the powerbooks @ WWDC in june. My birthday is June 13th, and I leave to go on a trip the 19th. So, it would be the perfect time to get a new powerbook! But, I am look at the 12" or 15" not the 17". :(
     
  19. progx macrumors regular

    progx

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2003
    Location:
    Western NY
    #19
    after the nightmare i had encoding a DVD in Toast on the eMac (USB 2.0), i'd like to hope Apple is planning on putting the G5 in the Powerbook. it's not just the processor, it's the bus speeds on all G4s. sure, Freescale may say a 200 Mhz FSB, but are we going to get it? no, the G4 is going to stay topped out at 167 Mhz until the day it's booted out of the Mac mini and iBook. i think Apple is starting to care less and less for the G4, especially after Motorola gave them the finger on that proposition; with IBM ditching their PC division to focus on PowerPC, Power Technology, and Cell development, I think there's a more fruitful relationship between Apple and IBM right now. a dual-core G4 might be a saving point for the Powerbooks, but if they continue with the single core G4s, i think the iBooks will out pace the Powerbook since it has the same speed and reliability of an iBook.

    the G4 is a great processor, it just has a VERY tiny pipeline to calculate data through. 167Mhz on a 1.25 Ghz G4, w/ 768MB of DDR-RAM; took about 4-5 hours to encode a DVD on Toast and then said there was not enough space on the disc for it.

    so i tell you, would you rather have the Powerbook G5 at 2Ghz, 1Ghz FSB, 512MB (4-8GB Max) DDR-RAM, 128MB (256MB) VRAM, 16X dual layer burning (with all that processing power going through a subway tunnel) vs. a Powerbook G4 1.67Mhz G4, 167Mhz FSB, 512MB (2GB Max?) DDR-RAM, 64MB (128MB) VRAM, 16X dual layer (with the hours it will take to encode)?

    it's not the processor, it's the G4 awful bus speeds! maybe Moto should sell their division to AMD.
     
  20. XIII macrumors 68040

    XIII

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2004
    Location:
    England
    #20
    I totally agree with the Toast remarks. It took hours to burn two hours of video to a DVD with the iBook in my sig. I am going to sell that off, and get a rev b, or if they are REALLY good, rev a powerbook g5 15" when they come out.
     

Share This Page