updades for g3 ibooks to g4?????

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by hacking_4_b33r, Feb 1, 2004.

1. hacking_4_b33r macrumors newbie

does anyone know if there is a way to upgrade the G3 ibooks to a G4?

or am i trapped in g3 forever?

2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Sell the G3 iBook ;)
    Purchase a G4 iBook

I'm pretty sure that's the easiest and only upgrade path.

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

as you know there are products for some computers to upgrade them a generation or more but for a consumer level computer like an ibook, it would make more sense to buy a new ibook because the cost of such an upgrade would not be worth it

the best motherboard to have is one designed for that specific processor to get the best results

i used to have a powertowerpro 180 model which had a 185 mhz PPC 604e chip in it and when the G3 tower came out, this machine lost most of its value...when the G4 tower came out, then the machine was worth three hundred bucks

for more than that, i could have bought a G4 card for the tower and upped the speed of the machine but i had to deal with a motherboard with a slow bus which was not condusive to having a G4 chip in it...to make it work better with the G4 chip to allviate the worst bottlenecks, i would have had to buy more ram...all in all, i could have bought a used apple G3 power mac for cheaper and had an overall better and faster machine

upping an old mac with a new processor card rarely pays off since you can buy a next generation computer used or sometimes new cheaper than a processor upgrade which would often require other upgrades to make everything work at its best...some also buy the latest and fastest video card as well as more ram and a later operating system which a new processor often requires for optimal results

that being said, some people do not care about getting the best deal and like to modify stuff just for the sake of modifiying and many find this a fun way to pass the time...although expensive and unproductive most of the time

...other people like to stretch the life of a computer just for kicks and blow people away with using an antique...i have a may-1999 pc laptop running windows 98 (first edition) and the thing is maxed out with 160 mb of 66 mhz sdram and the machine is equipped with a 2 mb video card...of course not all software products i put on this machine work fully, but i find it a curiosity to see what does work...i downloaded ie 5 or 6 and outlook express 6 on it and the thing works beautifully...when i bring this very thick and extremely heavy monster (8+ lb with adapter) into programming classes, people are amazed that i can get compilers on this thing to work or even fit...the hard drive is 4.3 gb and i have to delete programs and apps from it to make way to fit other stuff...i don't know of anybody who has such an old pc laptop in working condition and i will try and keep this thing going to the five year point and beyond :p

i know of a man who uses a late 1997 or early 1998 era pc laptop with windows 95 and only a floppy drive on it and this thing is two inches thick and has a 10 or 11 inch passive lcd screen on it and maybe i will go down to his store today and see if he is still using this beast...it's a toshiba and consistently, that's the only brand of pc laptops which last such a long, long time because they are built like tanks but lack some of the desgn coolness and features of a sony

4. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

very wise advice...i second that recommendation since there are no processor upgrade paths that i know of for the ibook at this time and even if there were and they were very affordable, i would still get the brand new g4 ibook

5. hacking_4_b33r thread starter macrumors newbie

ibook upgrade

ahhh scr3w it ill just keep my g3 ibook and get a g5

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: ibook upgrade

now a G5, that is a totally different territory...and i am sure you will be happy with that

i guess once you go G5, there is no turning back...if you like laptops, maybe you can wait for a G5 powerbook but it might be a long wait...late summer or even sometime this fall

when the g3 ibook came out in 1999, i bought it and use it to this day...it's about time to replace it and a g4 ibook should suit my purposes, maybe even a 12 inch g4 powerbook