[Update] Adobe Creative Suite CS2 Premium for free on Adobe website.

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by leez, Jan 7, 2013.

1. leez, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2013

macrumors regular

leez

As Dov Isaacs wrote on Adobe forums (http://forums.adobe.com/message/4974662#4974662):

Link to official Adobe post about problems activating CS2: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1114930
    Link to support page describing the issue and with links to CS2 software: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/policy-pricing/creative-suite-2-activation-end-life.html

-----------------------------------

As in the title. Download here:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=cs2_downloads

I know it's old, but what a move by Adobe !

2. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I saw that on twitter this morning and thought that it was nice and all but aren't they on CS6 now? It is a good move, but why not offer something like CS4? Either way, free is free and that is something I don't see Adobe do.

3. leez, Jan 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

thread starter macrumors regular

leez

Yes, I'm on CS6 as well and as I said, CS2 is old (not sure if it will work on Mountain Lion).

But look at it as fighting with piracy, giving an alternative, pro alternative to GIMP etc., preparing young people to use it at work in the future (so they will recommend it and learn it) and finally to let people try it before buying Creative Cloud - which I think will be the future road for Adobe - let's wait till they announce the profit on it after first year of launch. As far as I can remember they never released any of their Suites for free.

4. fig
    macrumors 6502a

CS2 isn't really that different from CS6. Most people could be using CS/CS2 and be just fine.

I've got CS3 running on Lion on my iMac at home and that works great, I'd think CS2 would work but I guess we'll see.

5. macrumors 68040

CS2 will not work, as it's only compatible with PowerPC processors, and wasn't generally compatible with 10.6.x and can't run at all in 10.7 or later.

6. fig
    macrumors 6502a

Good to know, thanks. Might be worth running bootcamp for to run it in an older version of Windows for some folks.

7. macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I'm still using CS2 and it works in Snow Leopard and it's quite usable, definitely not able to run it in Lion or Mountain Lion though. --Also, the site is down. Too bad Adobe didn't offer CS3, oh well...:)

8. macrumors 603

Smart move by Adobe. Offer something for people on old hardware to get them hooked on Adobe products, knowing that the hardware will need to be replaced sooner rather than later. And that if the user wants to continue using CS they then have to buy a new version. Good marketing move.

9. macrumors member

"You can’t open the application “Adobe Installer” because PowerPC applications are no longer supported."
    Running Mountain Lion - is there anything I can do or have I just spent the last hour putting 2.64gb on my laptop for no bloody reason?

10. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Does this include Fireworks? I know that CS3 did but I'm finding conflicting information about whether CS2 included Fireworks or not.

11. macrumors 68000

hvfsl

You could always run 10.6 in a Virtual Machine.

12. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Nope, no Fireworks in CS2 – we have both the Standard and Premium versions at work and it isn't included with either.

13. macrumors member

Oops ! The site is unavailable ....:mad::mad::mad:

14. macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Looks like adobe decided that it was giving out too many free copies...

15. macrumors 65816

arogge

16. thread starter macrumors regular

leez

17. macrumors 6502

FYI, the link is back up.

18. macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

Here's a link to an Ars Technica article about Adobe releasing CS2 (and yes, it IS available with a wink & a nod to all):

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/01/adobe-almost-does-something-amazing-by-accident/

Peter Bright examines the ambiguity...

FWIW, it does run faster on my 2011 iMac in Snow Leopard using Rosetta & 16GB RAM than it does on my G5 PPC iMac. Some things are greyed out in Illustrator but I recently used 3D in Illustrator (first time) & was blown away that it actually worked.

It's worth downloading & running if you have SL or a VM, or an older Mac.

19. macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

I think the "Not" should be removed from the thread title, as it is available for free to all. The Ars Technica article "Adobe Does Something Amazing by Accident" explains the twists.:)

20. macrumors 6502a

Just exactly what do I need to get/set up and are there free virtual machines available?
    I'm on a Mac Pro with OSX 10.6.8.

21. thread starter macrumors regular

leez

Yes, get the Oracle VirtualBox: https://www.virtualbox.org

22. macrumors 68030

Alternatively, install Wine or CrossOver and run the Windows version in an XP bottle. Might be slightly quicker than a VM.

23. macrumors 6502

24. macrumors 6502a

CrickettGrrrl

It should run fine for you in Snow Leopard without a virtual machine, it has for me, with Rosetta, for over a year. :)

25. macrumors 6502a

Sounds good, thanks :)
    So what's the final verdict on it being available for everybody or just those who have previously purchased CS2? There seems to be a lot of confusion and speculation on what the facts are.

Adobe hasn't even bothered posting a note about it on their download page.