Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Yes, I've read it (though not all the comments) but I don't see any conclusion to the matter.
Furthermore, at the end of the article where it says:

Update: Or perhaps not. The new download page has now been pulled. Alas. While it's still working for some people, for others, it's redirecting to a CS6 page.

... I just tried the link and it works just fine for me! There's no redirection to the CS6 page and all the CS2 downloads and serial numbers are there (yes, I also tried a reload to see if it was the cache).

Last edited:

boatcapt

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2011
Has anyone got this to run on a fairly new software version? I'm running 10.7.5. If so, what programs are your running to get it to work? Thanks.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Has anyone got this to run on a fairly new software version? I'm running 10.7.5. If so, what programs are your running to get it to work? Thanks.

It will run on Snow Leopard 10.6.8 using Rosetta to translate PPC to Intel, this is how I'm using it in a partition on my 2011 iMac. I have 16GB RAM, & it's running faster on my new iMac than it did on my G5 PPC iMac.

CS2 will not run on Lion or Mountain Lion unless inside a Windows virtual machine. I have read that it will run on Windows up to Win 7. You can download a Win version from Adobe too.

boatcapt

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2011
So if I download Oracle Virtualbox do I need to download a operating system that CS2 will run on also? I'm not the most computer savvy person, but I do know a little. Is Virtualbox easy to set up?
I downloaded CS2 on my xp desktop, but its old and slow. Only 1gb of ram. I want to put this on my macbook pro with 8 gb of ram.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
So if I download Oracle Virtualbox do I need to download a operating system that CS2 will run on also? I'm not the most computer savvy person, but I do know a little. Is Virtualbox easy to set up?
I downloaded CS2 on my xp desktop, but its old and slow. Only 1gb of ram. I want to put this on my macbook pro with 8 gb of ram.

Yes, you need to have Windows software too, to install in Virtual Box, and then install the Adobe CS2. I installed VirtualBox, Win XP & Quicken in one of my user accounts about a year ago ---it's a big blur to me now (it was a blur to me then too). I hadn't done anything like that before either but somehow I muddled through without too much difficulty so I'm pretty sure if I could do it, you can too. :) I think I googled AskDaveTaylor.com and reread his article about setting up VirtualBox on a Mac a couple times for reassurance, because frankly, VirtualBox Help pdf was a bit confusing to me. If I can find the link to that I'll add it to this post.

Here's some helpful set-up info:
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/10/virtualbox-is-free-and-open-source-but-lags-behind-vmware-and-parallels/

and

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/virtualbox-running-windows-on-a-mac-for-free-sort-of/

Last edited:

boatcapt

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2011
How about if I wanted to run the Mac Version? Where could I get a earlier version? Thanks for the help, Crickett.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
How about if I wanted to run the Mac Version? Where could I get a earlier version? Thanks for the help, Crickett.

Which version of OS X came with your MacBook Pro? If it was Lion, then I don't think you can run Snow Leopard on a partition, because the firmware doesn't support the older versions. If you did have SL originally, then that's definitely the easiest way to go. Now, whether SL can run in a VM on Lion, --I don't know.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less

I found a ton of useful info on these forums searching site:forums.macrumors.com etc., and found this linked in one of the threads:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/government/how-to-install-snow-leopard-on-a-brand-new-lion-based-mac/10652

And Apple is selling Snow Leopard again on their online store:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Apple has rereleased Snow Leopard Server at a 95% discount: $19.99 + sales tax & shipping costs at 1.800.MYAPPLE (1.800.692.7753) - Apple Part Number: MC588Z/A (telephone orders only).

Parallels 8 is available at a 40% discount at $49.99 for the next 3 days as part of the March 2013 MacUpdate 10 app bundle.

Adobe Creative Suite 2 (CS2) Photoshop running in Snow Leopard Server installed into Parallels for use in Lion or Mountain Lion:

[click on image to enlarge]

Attachments

• Photoshop red flag in SLS.png
    Photoshop red flag in SLS.png
    791.6 KB · Views: 1,006

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Parallels 8 is available at a 40% discount at $49.99 for the next 3 days as part of the March 2013 MacUpdate 10 app bundle.

Virtual Box is Free and at least as good as Parallels since V4.
And I bought Win 8 pro for 30$ in Januar, a much better combination, as it allows you to run the Intel version instead of a PPC emulated one.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
I talked to Adobe on April 10th to ask if it was ok to distribute CS2 on my website since the activation servers were taken offline. Due to Adobe declairing Adobe CS2 Abandonware (10 years old this year and out of support), They are no longer persuing nor maintaining the copyright of the Adobe CS2 Software. And they said putting it on my site for free download would not matter nor would they enforce the copyright.

Due to being against the rules to do so, I cannot provide the Serial Numbers for the software however I can post the direct links to download.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
I am hoping that they will do a similar release with CS4.

CS4 is relevant in as much not only for the advances between CS2 and CS4, but also as CS4 is the last PPC release.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
YAY! :D
Sadly it doesn't work on newer versions but it would probably work in Snow Leopard. Too bad I don't have Snow Leopard install disk but I have Leopard and everything else.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
One quick thing:

If you are going to virtualize SL on a newer Mac, the EULA permits virtualizing SL server on Mac hardware but prohibits doing the same with SL Client.

Both versions are $19.99 from Apple, although you have to call to order SL Server.

I bought a copy of SL Server last week, although I bought for installation on hardware and not to virtualize. They gave me zero trouble and the shipping was free-I just had to pay KY sales tax.

I ordered it at around 11:00 Monday morning, and it arrived via UPS on Tuesday afternoon.

At $19.99, IMO it's a no-brainer to pick up a copy while it's still available for that price. Even if you have no immediate use, it's still good to have available. Just bear in mind that you are purchasing the physical install medium(DVD), complete with two license codes(I have 10.4, 10.5, and 10.6 server, and all require a license code to work-unlike client versions of OS X).

This also reminds me that I need to get online tonight and order a copy of SL Client :)

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I talked to Adobe on April 10th to ask if it was ok to distribute CS2 on my website since the activation servers were taken offline. Due to Adobe declairing Adobe CS2 Abandonware (10 years old this year and out of support), They are no longer persuing nor maintaining the copyright of the Adobe CS2 Software. And they said putting it on my site for free download would not matter nor would they enforce the copyright.

Due to being against the rules to do so, I cannot provide the Serial Numbers for the software however I can post the direct links to download.

So CS2 is abandonware now... good to know :)

I'll stick it on my iBook G4 and a few more of my PPCs (it'll be nice to upgrade from the boxed copy of CS1 I had installed on my Sawtooth), although I don't know how useful it will be for me since I already have CS6 installed on my Retina iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.