(UPDATE: Confirmed) Stereo Speakers on iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SR71, Oct 27, 2012.

1. SR71, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2012

macrumors 65816

So, from the looks of it, it appears that the iPad Mini has stereo speakers, while the iPad 4 does not. I wonder why they added it to the iPad Mini, but not the iPad 4... I mean, it can easily fit it, and it'd probably make the sound much better. Personally, I think this is going to be great for when I watch movies or videos, or listen to music on my iPad Mini.

Anyone else glad to see this?

2. macrumors P6

Intell

Technically the iPad 4, as well as all other iPads, have stereo speakers. They have a left and right channel speaker on the inside, but only one external sound baffle.

3. macrumors G3

NT1440

It's got a mono speaker, and a microphone, just like every iphone since the iphone 4.

It'd be cool for stereo, but thats not what it is.

4. macrumors 6502a

Buckeyestar

I don't think it has stereo speakers.

5. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The Nexus 7 does. I don't think many people know that.

6. macrumors regular

considering the speakers aren't projecting sound out to the sides, does it matter?

7. thread starter macrumors 65816

Don't know what the iPhone has to do with this, but there seems to be two speaker grille cutouts on the back of the iPad Mini. What leads me to believe that these are both speakers, and not a speaker and a microphone, is the fact that the iPad Mini has microphone cutout on the top of the device.

So, let me rephrase my original question: Does the iPad Mini have two speakers instead of one single speaker like the iPad 4?

----------

What makes you think it doesn't have stereo speakers?

8. macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Apple only points to one grill on their site as a speaker.

http://www.apple.com/ipad-mini/specs/

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

I noticed that as well. I really do wonder what that second grille is for, then, if the iPad Mini does only have one speaker. Any guesses?

10. macrumors 68020

macingman

It's possible both grills are speakers just for the sake of keeping the website looking clean they only pointed to one. The left one looks like a speaker to me, or it may just be there for the sake of keeping the iPad looking symmetrical and clean instead of having on grill on one side..

11. thread starter macrumors 65816

It most likely is another speaker, but it's definitely not a stretch to think that Apple might've done this to make it look more symmetrical, I mean they do take design very seriously, however this does beg the question: why doesn't the iPad 4 have the same two grilles if Apple did indeed put the second grille there just for the sake of making it symmetrical like they did with the iPad Mini?

12. macrumors 601

Speakergate

13. macrumors 68040

I've been wondering about this as well because of the two speaker grills. Even if they aren't stereo speakers, perhaps the sound is better than a regular iPhone or iPad. Guess we will find out.

14. thread starter macrumors 65816

Nailed it. :p

15. macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I'd assume that if the second grill was a speaker, it would have been a bullet point during the keynote. It seems that it would be a big deal.

16. macrumors regular

it would be really lame if the other grill was just a dummy

17. macrumors 601

Lol

18. macrumors 65816

One is for bar-b-que silly. :D

I hope it's a speaker personally.

19. macrumors 68020

OMG some of you are dim. It's not a second speaker it's a mic ffs. Look at your iPhone, see it has 2 "grills" on the bottom. Speaker and mic.

20. macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Post #3 already said that and I'd assume most of us know how the iPhone works. What's strange is that this is the first iPad with 2 grills.

21. macrumors regular

You think you'd get the stereo effect from speakers that close together? You wouldn't. And what about landscape use?

Also, two tiny, tinny speakers would not sound better than one tiny, tinny speaker.

22. thread starter macrumors 65816

If you had read the thread you would've seen that someone already suggested that, and it was proven incorrect by me. Here's my response: Don't know what the iPhone has to do with this, but there seems to be two speaker grille cutouts on the back of the iPad Mini. What leads me to believe that these are both speakers, and not a speaker and a microphone, is the fact that the iPad Mini has microphone cutout on the top of the device.

So, let me rephrase my original question: Does the iPad Mini have two speakers instead of one single speaker like the iPad 4?

23. 3rd Rock, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

macrumors 6502

Stereo speaker jack as shown

Speaker pointer as shown does not say stereo

The diagram does not say stereo for the speaker at the bottom. If it were Stereo, it would have been announced, pointed to and raved about by Apple.

http://www.techlicious.com/blog/apple-ipad-mini-is-less-more/

"The specifications may tell a different tale. Both the Nook HD ($199 on barnesandnoble.com) and Kindle Fire HD ($199 on amazon.com) have better resolution displays than the iPad mini: 1440 x 900 pixels and 1280 x 800 pixels respectively. Furthermore, while the Nook HD offers half the storage capacity of the least capacious iPad mini and of the Kindle Fire HD (16 GB), it is expandable via a built-in microSD card slot, while the iPad mini (like all iPads) and the Kindle Fire HD are not. The Kindle Fire HD also features stereo speakers, whereas the iPad mini (like all iPads) has a single speaker."

However, since the Mini has a microphone already as shown in top photo, the second picture shows two sets of holes and that leads us to wonder if its two speakers, just not stereo. However, again why did Apple not show two arrows pointing to both sides, not just one pointer to the right side speaker ?

Attached Files:

24. macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

I assume an iFixIt tear-down will resolve this debate. Though, I'd imagine Apple would be boasting about this feature somewhere on the page if it were the case.

25. thread starter macrumors 65816

That pretty much sums up the confusion over it having one or two speakers.