Update impact on refurb prices

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by cqli, Mar 23, 2004.

1. cqli macrumors newbie

With all the hubbub with updates to Powerbooks, etc, do you think existing powerbooks will fall even more in price? (ie the 12 in fell to $1049!)

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There is no guarantee that Apple will offer refurbs of the model you want after a machine is updated.

Though there is a chance that Apple will have some new "old stock" machines after an update as they finish clearing the channel.

So it's a little hard to say yes there will be a price drop AND machines available...

Since people do stop by to say there's a smoking deal on old model refurbs, only to see the availability vanish very quick.

3. cqli thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input!
    In your experience, how much does the price of a new 'old stock' machine' fall usually?

4. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

It depends upon what the new computers are like, but generally, prices fall anywhere from $100-$400 for powerbooks.

5. tsk macrumors 6502a

tsk

Does that assume any price drop with the updates? I'm really hoping that if these are still G4's they announce any updates come with a price drop.

6. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

The previous post covered price drops if the new price points stay the same. If they do not, price drops on older models will be much more significant, anywhere from $200-$600.

If they announce new G4 powerbooks I'm betting that the prices on new models will drop.

My guesses: 12 inch no superdrive- $1499
    12 inch w/ superdrive-$1699
    low end 15 inch-$1899
    high end 15 inch-$2399
    17 inch- $2799