Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cqli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
With all the hubbub with updates to Powerbooks, etc, do you think existing powerbooks will fall even more in price? (ie the 12 in fell to $1049!)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
There is no guarantee that Apple will offer refurbs of the model you want after a machine is updated.

Though there is a chance that Apple will have some new "old stock" machines after an update as they finish clearing the channel.

So it's a little hard to say yes there will be a price drop AND machines available...

Since people do stop by to say there's a smoking deal on old model refurbs, only to see the availability vanish very quick.

cqli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 18, 2004
Sun Baked said:
There is no guarantee that Apple will offer refurbs of the model you want after a machine is updated.

Though there is a chance that Apple will have some new "old stock" machines after an update as they finish clearing the channel.

So it's a little hard to say yes there will be a price drop AND machines available...

Since people do stop by to say there's a smoking deal on old model refurbs, only to see the availability vanish very quick.

Thanks for your input!
In your experience, how much does the price of a new 'old stock' machine' fall usually?

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
cqli said:
Thanks for your input!
In your experience, how much does the price of a new 'old stock' machine' fall usually?

It depends upon what the new computers are like, but generally, prices fall anywhere from $100-$400 for powerbooks.

tsk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2004
Wisconsin
invaLPsion said:
It depends upon what the new computers are like, but generally, prices fall anywhere from $100-$400 for powerbooks.

Does that assume any price drop with the updates? I'm really hoping that if these are still G4's they announce any updates come with a price drop.

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
tsk said:
Does that assume any price drop with the updates? I'm really hoping that if these are still G4's they announce any updates come with a price drop.

The previous post covered price drops if the new price points stay the same. If they do not, price drops on older models will be much more significant, anywhere from $200-$600.

If they announce new G4 powerbooks I'm betting that the prices on new models will drop.

My guesses: 12 inch no superdrive- $1499
12 inch w/ superdrive-$1699
low end 15 inch-$1899
high end 15 inch-$2399
17 inch- $2799

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.