Update: MetaZ Still Won't Open M4V

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by taylord22, Jan 26, 2013.

1. taylord22, Jan 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2013

macrumors regular

Mar 13, 2012
    So, I ripped a Blu Ray using MKV, then converted it using handbrake...I'm trying to add meta data, but when I navigate to open the file, it's grayed out. What am I doing wrong?

File type = [name]_mkv

Do I need to convert to mp4 before exporting to iTunes?

I still can't get MetaZ (or anything for that matter) to open up the MV4 that I created via handbrake...

"The file 'Step_Brothers_Disc_1_t01.m4v' is in an unsupported format." The image of the file is a white sheet with a folded upper right tab. "

I converted to M4V on handbrake using "Normal" settings. My goal is to import into iTunes and stream via Apple TV3.

A solution would be very welcome! Frustration is starting to mount.
  2. macrumors 601

Feb 8, 2004
    Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Out of Handbrake, it should be a .m4v file not .mkv.

An .m4v file should go right into Meta X or Z just fine.

Your post reads like you either are trying to tag the .mkv BEFORE you've run it through Handbrake, OR when you used Handbrake you chose the output type of mkv.
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 13, 2012
    [smacks hand on forehead] it was the latter. Thanks for confirmation.
  4. macrumors 6502

Aug 10, 2012
  5. macrumors regular

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm getting the same error but I HAVE converted them in Handbrake from mkv to mp4/m4v. Some files work just fine afterward. MetaZ opens them up and itunes/vlc will play them. Others, (maybe three or four so far), are in the same format but tell me that the file format is unsupported. Huh?

Have you run into anything like this?
  6. macrumors regular

Jul 19, 2012
    Northwest Ohio
    In Handbrake have you checked the "Large file size" checkbox?