Update of 15" AlBooks?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by booshi, Dec 30, 2003.

1. booshi macrumors newbie

Dec 30, 2003
    In a day or two, I am finally making my switch to Mac. My Dell laptop died completely and after a lot of badgering I'm getting my money back tomorrow. I was going to get a 15" AlBook but I read of the white spot and uneven illumination problems with these. I was wondering if either of these problems have been fixed in the more recently shipped units. If they haven't been fixed, should I just buy a 12"?
  2. dornball macrumors member

Apr 3, 2003
    Denver, CO.
    i can't tell you for sure if all of the major problems reported have been fixed on the 15", but i know they stopped production for a while in november, and started back up in early december. that's when i order my 15". i received it on dec. 19th, and haven't had a single complaint about it. i haven't noticed any of the previously reported problems.

just fyi.

3. 7on macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    I've recently been to an Apple Store and played with some of the new 15ers. They are quite nice, though I didn't have any earlier ones to compare it to.
  4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    I bought a 15" powerbook right after they came out, and sure enough the white spots showed up. I took it in and they replaced the display - turnaround time was four days, from drop-off at the Apple store on Monday to pick-up on Thursday.

This new screen is a month old and appears perfect (the white spots showed up pretty quickly on the original). So I'd say they likely have the problem solved. On the chance that they don't, my experience with their service was very satisfactory - but of course it's best to not need it!
  5. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

May 30, 2003
    Connecticut, USA
    I've had mine since late September without a problem... but even with the problems I think Apple has corrected what they were doing wrong in the first place. I wouldn't have any doubts about ordering now, and even if you do have an issue their support in second to none.

Good Luck
  6. Stojamow macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2003
    I got mine in the beginning of the month.

AB-SO-LU-TE-LY no problems. Not a one.
  7. appledc macrumors newbie

Dec 24, 2003
    Have no qualms - buy the 15" w/ SD

booshi -

I ordered the PB when it just came out and got a lemon (white spots). Apple sent me a replacement which had a small screen defect, and they replaced the ENTIRE screen and I had it on my front door step in less than a week. I LOVE Apple!

But really, you shouldn't worry about any more problems, and if there are Apple will quickly resolve them.

Enjoy your new baby!!! :)
  8. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Oct 16, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Got mine in mid december with no noticable defects yet, save for one dead pixel.
  9. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

Sep 13, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    I purchased a Al 15" just after they came out and I had the white spot problem (3 in fact), and a latch that did not always catch. I had to wait for a replacement for 6 weeks or so, but when it arrived it was perfect. No white spots, latch is perfect and no dead pixels. So I am very happy, and reading other postings it is quite clear that Apple has now fixed the problem, so buy your 15" with confidence. I promise you will not be disappointed.