Update on iPod Settlement

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mrzeve, Oct 4, 2005.

1. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Got an email from a rep:

2. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Thank you so much for posting that info.

Just curious, were you anxious about your claim and thus went out of your way to email this rep? Or did you just happen to get an email?

4. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was anxious. Should have been more clearier in stating that this was a REPLY to my email.

Sorry!

5. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I called in yesterday to find out if my claim had been received (it had) and then asked the rep when I should be expecting my compensation.

I was told November would be the month when everyone would be getting their claims. However no one could tell me if it was in the begining, middle, or end of november.

Regardless - I then asked about what I would be receiving. She asked me if I selected the $50 gift card or if I asked for a replacement battery. I told her I requested the battery and she then informed me that Apple would likely be sending me a box to put my iPod in, and they would just give me a new (I bet its refurbished) iPod. She also said that she did not know if it would be one of the newer models.

My guess is we will be receiving the 20gb 4th gen models that they have left over in the repair house. But then again, who knows?

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

has the date passed to send in your claim... :eek: cause money towards a new ipod would be nice

7. caribiner23 macrumors regular

caribiner23

Excellent news, Zeve-- I was just wondering about this.

Since I replaced the battery in my 3G 15 GB iPod myself (not a difficult task with the right tools) I opted for the $50 gift card.

Now the question is what to spend it on.... :)

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Once again, thank you so much mrzeve for doing the grunt work and finding out more info for the rest of us. I'm excited because I also elected to get a battery replacement (way I figured, if I really wanted money from the iPod I could always sell it).

Question: How do you find your claim number?! How did you reference your claim; was your name and address enough?

9. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep. Just call the 888 number listed in my original post and follow those options. Theyre going to ask you for your last name and thats it.

Let me know.

10. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I think the deadline was 31 August. My 3G was eligible; however, you had to certify that you made a good faith effort to perform the test: "fully charged, with headphones, in on shuffle-- did you get less than 4 hours." I got about 5; so I was not eligible. Of course, if you ever access the hard drive any (changing songs or playlists) you get way less than 4 hours. Oh well. :mad:

11. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Okay so I called in...

Get this, the original letter they mailed me did not have my last name... sooo, my claim has to be faxed in. :( No fax at my place. Sigh. So much trouble!

So I am on file but, my file has to be amended to show my last name as well. Thank you so much, mrzeve!!! If it wasn't for you and this thread, I might not have ever found out why my claim went ignored! :p

12. F4Rid macrumors newbie

so i called them and they do have my claim form. i asked the guy when they are going to be sending stuff (vouchers or replacements) and he said they have said to start mailing stuff in january. so i guess we have to wait until next year.

13. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yep I just called and was told the same.

And no problem guys. Glad to help.

14. stonebiz macrumors newbie

iPod Settlement

Thanks for the info on the battery settlement. I have been searching for information with no luck until I found MacRumors. I tried calling Apple and visiting their web site but that didn't help. Such a good feeling when finally finding an answer to what I thought should have been easy info to find but wasn't.

The iPod is my son's. I understand from what you wrote that he (having opted for the new battery) will have to send his current iPod back to be replaced. He is actually very happy with the model he has; he just wanted a new battery to replace the one that never held a charge for very long. Thanks again.

15. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple has filed an Appeal against this case.

I dont see iPods coming our ways for a good 6+ months.

16. jab1981 macrumors newbie

Is it just me or should they just get this over with. Seems like they'd save alot more money and energy by just settling up now. I don't know who they're trying to fool.

17. jab1981 macrumors newbie

Did you read that Apple is claiming they didn't file the appeal? Has there been any news on that?

18. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Girard Gibbs say that "two individuals" filed the appeal but haven't named them.

19. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Little Update

I found out that it was actually 2 iPod users who submitted the appeal.

Aka they were eligible for the settlement but decided to be jerks to the other millions of people.

20. AudiGuy macrumors regular

21. mrzeve thread starter macrumors 6502a

Heres an update guys.

22. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

It's about freekin' time. This probably means that it's going to be only another 2-3 months before I can expect a check.

23. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Seems like my $50 Apple Store credit will come just in time for MWSF purchases.:cool:

24. Swytch macrumors regular

I just called to get status... "The settlement is finalized, shipments are scheduled for Febuary 28th"

25. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

no way! does anyone know how they will do it? My broken ipod is at home and my mom is away for the winter, while i'm at college! Will they send a box to put the broken one in or what?