update on my site.... thetechpub

Discussion in 'Community' started by AlphaTech, Nov 28, 2002.

1. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

For anyone interested, I have completed the redesign of www.thetechpub.com. I have discussion boards there as well (no rumors allowed, but also no word filtering in use), news, reviews, articles and soon (hopefully very soon) I will have an online store. This is a cross platform site, and I will be placing up articles about hardware (and software) as I am able to evaluate the items. Currently, there are articles about two Canon digital cameras and initial impressions about an IBM ThinkPad T30.

Have fun, swing by, belly up to the keyboard and grab a pint.

One last item, I have a contest for a site logo. More details can be found on my own discussion boards, using phpBB2 since it's free (think arn recommended them).

2. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

great to see that you are doing good!

i will swing by

3. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I hope more people check the site as well... I will post when the store is online so that people can check it out.

I hope to be able to offer up some Apple systems or at least hardware. I do know that I will have pc components, for those that want some.

4. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

good to hear from you. site looks good. very interesting. hope the best for the site and you.

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Welcome back alpha.... Good to see you, well done with the site. I frequent there.

A few have split of and formed their own sites, I have funmac.com if anyone wants a look.

Keep it up.

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

hey, nice forum, mac15!

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

It's a good forum. I just can't understand half of what everyone
    is talking about :D. I need to learn hardware..... and software for
    that matter. But I barely know ANY hardware whatsoever. But
    how cna you j ust learn about computer hardware? Are there any
    books dedicated to teaching hardware, and not anything else?

8. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Thanks dude, were moving along nicely now...

Scem0 , whos forums where you talking about?

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

I've already submitted a few possible logos for the site. It's to replace the front page "logo", which currently does not get too many people interested.

Also, Alpha/Akira is probably the one to go to if you need help with a more specific topic (unusual hardware issue, never seen this error before, etc.), or the other helpful members on this board are just too busy. Out of about 200 active members or so, not one could help me with the Q I posted.

No matter, his site has been improving since day one. It's just the site hasn't been too active lately.

Ahh, mac15, scem keeps a hidden website no one can find or see, except in his own, spinning mind. :p

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Hey Alpha - good to here from you and see your site losing some of its rougher edges, its looking good. Good luck!

D

11. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Tranks dukemeister... Any chance you could submit some logo designs???

scem0... Put any questions you have in the appropriate section of my site. It's easy (and free) to register for the boards. Once you register, you can post just about any question you want (read the welcome message/thread, it has the few ground rules). That goes for any/everyone.

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha - I've got some other commitments right now, but I'll see what I can do :D

Maybe in a week or so - also, I've been playing with flash, if you want somthing for the main page - not a silly intro movie that has the skip intro button on the bottom, but something much more subtle that would just be part of the logo - that might animate if you move the mouse over it. I'm still learning but its got so much potential.

D

13. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Hmmmm... a flash effect would be cool... I'm thinking of a logo with an oval background with the site name within it made to look metallic. With Flash, you could do a flash/flare type effect on it. Keep in mind, I "only" get 25GB per month of bandwidth here... heh

Gotta love dot5hosting... great service, excellent support, and they are still new enough to actually care about their customers. :D

14. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Hey Alpha. I'll probably be getting a combo drive iBook in the next month if you're interested in a review of it. I hope that the forums take off soon.

15. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Write it up and send it to the appropriate email address... Of course, you COULD have placed a post like this on thetechpub boards you know. ;)

16. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I was just so overjoyed at seeing AlphaTech posting at Macrumors :p

17. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Ahhhh, well, you DO know what they say about simple pleasures. :eek:

18. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

lol Alpha's been away for sooo long and look at his post rate in his profile..still above 10 a day

19. rice_web macrumors 6502a

rice_web

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ha, but then he needs something to replace it with. I'll be able to get something to you next week I'm thinking - after I do two small things for others who have asked that I haven't had time to do. I'll let you know as soon as I get them done. And if you don't like them, or need changes, just let me know.

But what I do need is dimensions (x and y) and size in Kb. PM me with the info.

D :D

21. AlphaTech thread starter macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Yeah, and I'm STILL ranked #3... heh

rice_web, I KNOW how to change the logo, I'm just waiting for a logo to change it for... Once a winning logo design is selected (I have a [still] have the contest) it will replace what is on the main site as well as the boards and store.