Update Prebindings in Terminal. How?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iBunny, May 8, 2005.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

I know that I can use a 3rd Pary app to do this, but I want to learn how to do it via the terminal. How would I Force an update to reprebind the entire system?

Im new to OSX and I like this terminal. I am learning some cool stuff :p

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

You should become familiar with the "man -k" command, which produces, when use as "man -k prebind":

redo_prebinding(1) - redo the prebinding of an executable or dynamic library
    update_prebinding(1) - Update prebinding information when new system libraries or frameworks are installed

The "man update_prebinding" gives the detail.

3. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

Alright. Say I wanted to reprebind my entire system, not just a specific file or app. What then?

Sorry for all the n00b ness.

Thanks for that Man -k there is alot of help in their too but I am a OSX noob still and still dont understand everything :(

4. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

First, you have to admin privileges. If you user account was the first one created, then you have admin rights. Then enter:

sudo update_prebinding

You'll be asked for your password.

5. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

If I type in the terminal

Redo_prebinding(1)

it tells me

"Syntax error near unexpeted token '1' "

6. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

These aren't subroutine calls, there commands. There's no "(1)" used in the command syntax. I thought you said you wanted to update the prebinding for the entire system? If that's what you want to do, I already gave you exxactly what you need to type in at the terminal prompt. The "redo_prebinding" only affects the named file (full path name of file), and you didn't name a file. Did you read the man page, i.e. "man redo_prebinding"?

7. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

See I am a windows guy with no knowledge of OSX or linux. So I am extremly unfamiliar with this stuff.

When I just type in

"update_prebinding"

It gives me this big long thing saying update_prebinding started @ whatever time. So how do I know when its done?

8. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

I can type in

update_prebinding -root / -force -debug

and it will display a list of things, and at the end it will tell me

0 files successfully prebound, 0 files unsuccessfully prebound.

9. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Do you have a new terminal prompt? If so, it should be done. You can also start Activity Monitor from the Applications->Utilities folder, look at *all* the processes and see if the prebind command you started is still in the list. It normally doesn't take more than a few minutes to run (prebinding, that is).

Also, I would recommend you read a Unix basics book. I think there's one or two titles geared toward OS X flavor of Unix. O'Reilly should have something:

http://mac.oreilly.com

10. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

I will probly have to pick something like that up.

also, When I need to type in a directory. how do I know what it is?

Say with windows, I know something is in the C:\Windows directory. What is it with mac?

I am telling this thing to update prebindings in -root but then it was a directory.

11. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

The "-root" option allows you to specify a directory to start in. You don't need to specify it, since the default is "/" or the "root" directory, i.e. the top of the directory tree. Unix has no concept of drive letters like DOS, so there is no "C:" In Unix "/" == "C:\". If you have multiple disks, their partitions will be "mounted" on a "mount point" under the "/Volumes" directory. This includes removable media like CDROMs, DVDs and firewire drives. You can see what's mounted on your system with the "mount" command. You can see what's mounted and disk space with "df -k", the "-k" gives the space number in 1K units, rather than the 512 byte default.

Had enough, yet? (Yes, I'm just kidding) :)

Are you stationed overseas?

12. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

I am currently deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom III. I will be returning to the states in about 4 - 5 more months. :)

I know all these questions must be noobish to you. I am sorry. I Have internet access here at work (on my windows machine) but cant hook my iBook up to the internet :(

So I am just trying to figure all this stuff out as I go.

13. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

No problem. There's certainly lots of interesting stuff to learn. Unix/Linux is just soo much more powerful and elegant than Windows. Do some reading, and I'm sure you'll pick it up.

Anyway, feel free to ask questions anytime. I don't want to get into the politics of where you are, but keep yourself safe and know that *everyone* cares about you and your fellows. Take Care!

14. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

I figured out exactly what I was looking for.

Sudo update_prebinding -root / -force

:)

15. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the Help and Yeah, the politics of it... I hear ya. But thanks. I cant wait to come home :)

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow