Update SSD firmware before formatting.

Discussion in 'Mac Peripherals' started by Teclis, Feb 7, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Teclis

I have gotten my hands on an m4 SSD by crucial, which I am going to install in my MBP at the cost of ditching the optical drive. I want to update the firmware on the new drive to version 0309. (Up from previous 0002.)

However, when I install it I am going for a clean reinstall of the entire system, so will the new firmware updates be erased from the SSD when I format it, or will the new updates still be ut to date? The reason for me asking is when I have no optical drive I will not be able to update the firmware, as the install must be done from a CD, and I have no external disc drives.

2. macrumors 65816

parapup

Reinstalling OS / formatting does not impact firmware updates for the SSD. So whatever update you do will stick around no matter what.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Teclis

Phew, what a relief. Thanks ;)

4. macrumors 6502a

Some (now quite old) harddrives could actually overwrite their own firmware in a low-level format operation; this because only some of the firmware was stored in a silicon chip ROM for cost (and upgradeability) reasons; the rest resided on a small section of the magnetic platters, and the firmware itself wasn't smart enough to exclude this section from a low-level format. :p

Thus customers ended up bricking their own drives by doing this. Thankfully the need/ability to low-level format disappeared soon afterwards because it's quite redundant in a modern harddrive that uses a closed-loop tracking servo instead of a mechanical stepper motor to move the head assembly.

Ancient trivia, no need to pay it any attention... */self shuffles off into the dusty shadows, muttering and mumbling about the kids today*

Normal service will now resume. :D