Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhobes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Bigfork, MT
Hello All-

I have an iMac with USB ports 1.1 and am wondering if it is possible to upgrade to USB 2.0 ?? Thanks...:D

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Yep, sell the machine upgrade to an all new iMac G5. ;)

This is usually the method used to upgrade ports, CPUs, video cards, and LCD panels on the iMacs -- which were never designed to be upgraded, unless people are really good with a soldering iron.

Rhobes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Bigfork, MT
reh said:

Well, thought I'd ask. Actually, I better call Daystar Technology where the computer is right now(Georgia) for an iMac XLR8 MAChSpeed G4 1.35 GHz upgrade. I guess it's possible they can do this too although they don't mention it on there web site.:rolleyes:

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Rhobes said:
Well, thought I'd ask. Actually, I better call Daystar Technology where the computer is right now(Georgia) for an iMac XLR8 MAChSpeed G4 1.35 GHz upgrade. I guess it's possible they can do this too although they don't mention it on there web site.:rolleyes:
In case you didn't pick up on the previous posters -- USB 2.0 would require redesigning the iMac G4's motherboard... it ain't gonna happen.

Rhobes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Bigfork, MT
CanadaRAM said:
In case you didn't pick up on the previous posters -- USB 2.0 would require redesigning the iMac G4's motherboard... it ain't gonna happen.

Thanks for the clarification.....I'll just have to wait a couple years for my major new system upgrade then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.