update using iTunes - it screwed my iPod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ramoshorta, Oct 24, 2006.

1. ramoshorta macrumors newbie

I have my iPod for over 1 year now and had only once done the update suggested by iTunes (for the iPod - iTunes has always been up to date).

The thing is, after doing the update to my 20Gb iPod all worked well - that is, until the battery ended. When I plugged it to my work PC I got nothing on my iPod - no music, no playlists, no nothing. Also, and here's the funny bit, I suddenly had a 130 Gb (!) iPod...

Has this happened to anyone else? My iPod didn't work at all until I restored it to its factory settings and even then it kept saying the capacity is 130Gb...

Now I don't know what to do: return it? Keep it as it is until it happens again?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. ramoshorta thread starter macrumors newbie

One just like this:

Attached Files:

4. barnacle macrumors regular

barnacle

WOW ,,, from 20gb to 130!!! that's one hell of a update!!

just kidding. all my woes in the 'ipod went wack-o" thread started as soon as i updated. now it has to go to the shop. i wonder if they are related somehow?

5. ramoshorta thread starter macrumors newbie

Most likely. A freind of mine also had problems when updating his wife's Nano...

Any more thoughts?

6. barnacle macrumors regular

barnacle

if you read my thread you see i am out of ideas,, hoping one of the super ipod gurus in here can magicly solve my issues! i have about a one week window where i can send it back in a suitcase.

7. ramoshorta thread starter macrumors newbie

Dunno what to do, I bought it in June 2005... :(

8. barnacle macrumors regular

barnacle

this one was purchased in august '06! and now i have to send it across 2 countrys for help!!!

9. ramoshorta thread starter macrumors newbie

Update on things: apparently I have an iPod with double personality... When connected to iTunes on my house it's a 20Gb Ipod, when connected to my work PC it turns into a 130Gb beast.:p

I've deleted and re-installed iTunes on my work PC but it still assumes the iPod has 130Gb. And now for the funny part...

Work: nothing in the iPod, I put about 200 songs there. I can play them via iTunes but when I look at the iPod itself there's nothing there. Also, the iPod doesn't show up as a drive when I look at the "My computer" folder

Home (after the previous): 20Gb with nothing in it; I put some songs in, they show in the Ipod, the drive appears in "My computer"

Work (after the previous): 130Gb, only the 200 musics appear (in iTunes, not in the iPod itself), still can't see the drive and the only songs I see on the iPod (when disconnected from the computer) are the ones I put at home.

Any thoughts?

10. ramoshorta thread starter macrumors newbie

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Copy all your music onto one of the computers and then do a full restore.

12. Brayden87 macrumors member

:p Sell on ebay!!!!!

" The new 130gb ipod!!"

Time to make some money mate!