updated G5 towers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by CommandZed, Feb 5, 2005.

1. CommandZed macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2005
    Have had a dual 2.5ghz G5 tower on order from an apple dealer for a little over 2 months. Could the delay in completing this order be due to an imminent product update from Apple? Wondered if there were rumours kicking about in the ether? Cheers, CommandZed.
  2. jbrjake macrumors member

Jul 4, 2004
    What video card did you select?

Right now all models--including the 2.5--are listed with swift estimated ship dates on store.apple.com, except when you order one of the fast nVidia cards or the top-end ATI.
  3. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    An update to the Power Mac is expected in the March/April time frame. Definitely should be prior to WWDC in June. Really surprised to hear of a two month delay, your should give Apple a call to inquire about the reason.
  4. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Nov 30, 2004
    The nVidia GeForce 6800 GT DDL will boost your shipping time up to 3-5 weeks, anything else and you have a 2-4 day ship
  5. CommandZed thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 5, 2005
    I have upgraded the spec - 4GB Ram and a faster video card (not sure if it's the 30" monitor one tho...), so may be the reason. Apple centre has been really good in updating me with info, but I couldn't work out if they were running the 'old' stocks down to make room for an upgraded model - guess I was kinda hoping too much...! Thanks for all your posts. CommandZed.
  6. Roz macrumors newbie

Feb 10, 2005
    Did anyone else notice that the nVidia GeForce 6800 GT is no longer a BTO option at the Apple Store?
  7. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Apr 9, 2003
    CommandZed, where do you live? I don't see how you could have been waiting 2 months for your G5. I ordered my Dual 2.5Ghz Jan 8th when the ship time was 2-3 weeks and I got it in just 2 weeks from the Apple store. My machine was Also BTO with Geforce 6800GT and 250GB HD. I think something might be wrong with the reseller your going through as Apple quotes same day shipping, most Apple Stores and CompUSA also have them in stock. If I were you I would Cancel the order with your dealer.

As far as the 6800 GT not being offered as BTO anymore I find it very strange as it is still offered seperately with a 1-2 day ship time while the 6800Ultra still has a 3-5week ship time!! One can only speculate why?