Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

new_ibeacon_nfc-250x207.jpg
Apple is rolling out near field communication (NFC) readers and updated versions of its iBeacon transmitters to its own stores and Disney Stores ahead of the launch of its mobile payments service and the iPhone 6, reports 9to5Mac.

The company will begin integrating new proximity beacons made by Gimbal that will provide more accurate iBeacon location tracking in its own stores, and roll out new payment systems to support the NFC capabilities on the iPhone 6 and its highly-anticipated wearable device.

The report also notes that Apple may be planning to roll out its own first-party iBeacon sensors in its retail locations, and could also provide or sell the transmitters to other retailers as an incentive to sign up for its new mobile payments service. An FCC filing earlier this year revealed that Apple was developing its own first-party iBeacon hardware, which may end up being the new hardware discussed in this latest report.

Disney's retail stores are also said to be receiving new credit card machines that support NFC, which will also likely integrate with Apple's new mobile payment service. Reports from this past week have also indicated that Apple will be partnering with a number of other retailers for the service, including Walgreens, CVS, Nordstrom and more.

Apple has also established deals with major credit companies such as Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and credit card issuers to support its mobile payments service.

Apple will likely unveil its mobile payments service on Tuesday, along with the new iPhone 6 and its highly-rumored wearable device. Apple's media event kicks off at 10:00 AM Pacific Time, and MacRumors will have full coverage as the event unfolds.

Article Link: Apple Rolling Out New iBeacon Transmitters, NFC Readers to Apple Stores and Disney Stores

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
UK
This payment system has to launch worldwide. They can't afford to roll this out in America first. I mean we are still waiting for iTunes Radio n the UK

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
Since Apple is getting into the payment system game, it would be nice if they'd talk with companies with per-to-play games, such as Blizzard and Square-Enix.

There's iTunes cards in at least three places in my small town that I know of, and probably twice that in reality, but no place that sells pre-paid game cards for either company.

edit: and as Nalmond92 said, this needs to be worldwide. Those credit card companies are worldwide, the new Apple payment systems has to be worldwide too.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Bets on how long it will be before anywhere outside the US would get this....

Sometimes I feel like I live in Elbonia...

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
This payment system has to launch worldwide. They can't afford to roll this out in America first. I mean we are still waiting for iTunes Radio n the UK

Quite. We've had chip and pin for ages, France longer so, and I pay for my small shop groceries/petrol with contactless. Not exactly backwards but you just know we'll still be waiting as Visa or the PCI will want to go over this with a fine tooth comb..

skellener

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2003
So. Cal.
So if only the iPhone 6 has NFC then the millions upon millions of existing iPhones out there won't be able to take advantage of it. So could the "iWatch" or whatever contain an NFC chip as well so that it becomes a "companion" device to the older iPhones and iPads so that they will be able to take advantage of the new payment system as well? Just a thought.

mikethebigo

macrumors 68020
May 25, 2009
The Fry "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY" picture will have to be updated. Cash will be obsolete.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
Bets on how long it will be before anywhere outside the US would get this....

Sometimes I feel like I live in Elbonia...

Estonia-one of the countries Elbonia makes fun of-is one of the most wired countries in the world, actually.

Maybe instead you should feel like you're living in the UK instead, or here in the states.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
What is the bottom left icon/logo? Reminds me of Nespresso, but I don't think that's it.

Rainbow Evil

macrumors member
May 13, 2014
UK

Unfortunately I reckon it'll take some time for it to really kick off here... America is always first. I want iTunes Radio already!

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Estonia-one of the countries Elbonia makes fun of-is one of the most wired countries in the world, actually.

Maybe instead you should feel like you're living in the UK instead, or here in the states.

I referenced a fictional country for a reason...

Call me out when on Tuesday when it's announced it's to be rolled out to more than the US on day 1, more than happy to be proved wrong :)

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Unfortunately I reckon it'll take some time for it to really kick off here... America is always first. I want iTunes Radio already!

Others iTunes Radio experiences may be different, but what I've heard on it is rather monotonous.

For 80's new wave, I'd like to hear something other than the same 20 songs.

I'd also like to be able to block songs, so I can listen with my kids. Never heard S** Dwarf, from Soft Cell (love Tainted Love) on the radio, but it seems to be an iTunes Radio hit.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Others iTunes Radio experiences may be different, but what I've heard on it is rather monotonous.

For 80's new wave, I'd like to hear something other than the same 20 songs.

I'd also like to be able to block songs, so I can listen with my kids. Never heard S** Dwarf, from Soft Cell (love Tainted Love) on the radio, but it seems to be an iTunes Radio hit.

iTunes Radio plays the same 20 songs regardless of what you listen to.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
…..So could the "iWatch" or whatever contain an NFC chip as well so that it becomes a "companion" device to the older iPhones and iPads so that they will be able to take advantage of the new payment system as well?…..

That is a good question. For the wearable to be able to use NFC, it would almost certainly have to include the NFC chip, however that doesn't necessarily mean the 5S and before iPhones would sync seamlessly with the new wearable, If they did, that would of course remove some incentive to upgrade to the 6.

Based on recent history, I don't believe we should count on such backward compatibility.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Actually it shouldn't roll out worldwide at once. Because they can't afford to have a worldwide cock up if something goes wrong when they could have found the issue while it was still testing just in the US.'

And the whole iTunes radio thing is right up there with why we in the US can't get BBC etc on our Apple TVs and you can't get US stations. tons of legalities, licensing etc.

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Of course it will be rolled out here in the UK and elsewhere in the world at the same time. It's using existing NFC technology, meaning anywhere you can use swipe to pay (McDonalds, Starbucks, etc) then you will be able to use NFC. All you will have to do is enter your card details into your phone, hopefully it gives you the option to add more than 1 card and an option on which card to use at the point of sale.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
Alright, I think the keynote thi ps year will be 10 minutes, tops.
Maybe 11 if apple keeps their fancy graphics.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
you can already go into an apple store pick what you want, scan the codes and pay for it on your iOS device without talking to anyone and walk out!

Literally i don't understand why we need NFC especially attached to a device, it makes no sense to connect something to a phone when the communication can be done in other ways without the NFC tag being attached to the phone.

For example you could have a contact-less card like many already have and any confirmations can be sent to the phone but i really don't get why they need an integrated NFC chip.

The idea of an apple only NFC chip also opens up many other issues such as does apple get a cut in? then the card company and apple take a percentage of the transaction when previously i could have paid with card or cash having smaller or no % cut out of the transaction. Can apple sell my transaction data to others, such as where i shop and what i buy? If i don't own an iOS device or loose my phone and can't get a new iPhone can i use it without an iOS device or is it linked for seemingly no advantage. I can get that you can use your finger for confirmation but that doesn't require built in NFC at all and could mean you are getting your phone out in places where you would rather not have anyone know you are carrying expensive equipment around.

Anyway i'm yet to see why chip and pin is worse or slower, it requires no third party to check anything when i pay, it's done without a cashier in most cases and is very fast. The card is in the machine for seconds usually. I don't see it as much of an area to save time on. The elderly took years to adapt to it so it's not going away overnight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.