Updated iTunes and my purchased music is gone?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stuuke, Nov 4, 2006.

1. stuuke macrumors regular

I just updated to iTunes 7.02 and all of my recently purchase music and podcasts are gone? Any suggestions as to how I can find them, where they went or how I can recover them?

2. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

is the "purchased" playlist gone or has all of your purchased music actually been deleted?

3. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

The purchased playlist and podcasts that I downloaded last week are still listed but the files are no where to be found. I just got an ipod last week. Ipods don't remove the purchased music from your computer do they?

4. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

No but if you connect your iPod to a computer with no files on it, the iPod's songs will be erased. Be careful of that.

If you cannot get your music back on your computer, you might want to try googling "yamipod". Yamipod is a program that will take the music from your iPod and copy it to iTunes. However, it's not endorsed by Apple so use at your own risk. :p

5. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

Any ideas? I haven't emptied my trash in weeks and the files aren't there.

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

i presume you've searched via spotlight for the files you're looking for. just because they're not where they're supposed to be doesn't mean they're not on the hard drive.

if the songs are still on your iPod, you should try software that can transfer songs from an iPod to the computer; search the forums for suggestions.

7. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Newer iPods can copy your iTunes Store puchased music between computers without aditional software, so when you plug you plug in an iPod paired with your computer that has purchased music on it that your computer does, it will ask if you want to transfer purchases from the iPod to your computer. This will, of course deleate all of your podcasts, but you should be able to just download them again for free.

8. stuuke thread starter macrumors regular

Figured it out. It had switched my music folder to an external hard drive. It listed my main hard drive as the the music folder when the external wasn't plugged in so I didn't realize it had switched. I'm not sure if it was the update that caused it to revert back or what. Thanks for the suggestions.