Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today began notifying purchasers of its iTunes LP offerings that updated versions compatible with the new Apple TV 3.0 software are now available for download. Apple delivered the Apple TV 3.0 software update to users last week, bringing a number of new features including iTunes LPs, iTunes Extras, Genius Mixes, and Internet radio to the company's set-top television box.
With the latest versions of iTunes (9.0.2) and Apple TV software (3.0), you can now use iTunes LP on your Apple TV. We have updated the iTunes LP that was included with (your purchase) so that it can now be viewed on Apple TV in addition to your Mac or PC. It is available for you to download now, free of charge.
Apple introduced its iTunes LP offering of enhanced album content in early September, and evidence had suggested that the format was designed with the Apple TV in mind. It appears, however, that a slight tweak to Apple's original Apple TV 3.0 software plans required the company to alter the iTunes LP format. This in turn required users who downloaded early versions of iTunes LPs to update to the new revised versions compatible with the full range of Apple devices.

Article Link: Updated iTunes LPs for Apple TV 3.0 Now Available

taphead

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2009
I've bought a couple of the LPs already, when buying the CDs anyway it's a nice addition. Especially from an artist you really enjoy.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
How many people actually use iTunes LP? Just out of curiosity.

probably not many cause its still very new with not many available, which without being insulting makes it a silly question really, maybe you should ask of who has bought them who enjoys them? there is no reason not to have the extra content if you are buying the album / film anyway.

on another note, I got my LP email for a download link but have yet to receive my movie extra email link, has anyone else got this yet?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I got one Wednesday that looked like a spammer message. I think I deleted it...

Is the update automatic for iTunes LP's that you have or do I need 'the link' to get it?

Tangent: How common are iTunes spammed receipts? I get them occasionally by an email account that I rarely use and trash them immediately...

Another tangent: I'm thinking of getting a 'nooky book' from B&N... What a name... Wish the Apple 'tablet' would come out before Christmas or Apple might find a problem selling against people that have already bought, and made investments in, prior technology that might (Hah! Probably won't) be compatible...

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I got one Wednesday that looked like a spammer message
You can be sure, they did that by design.

Smart really...

If you've already bought a LP or two, it's a pain in the ass to download again -- I think the general thought people will have is/will be "Apple, get your act together... LPs just came out and we're having to download them all over again?!"

If the email came all-official with Apple logos, the tainted message of more work would be reinforced with the Apple Brand -- why associate "bad" news with your brand?

Generic look for the bad stuff -- people remember more of what they see/read than just read... visual memories last longer than "just the facts".

... this time next year, people won't even remember they had to download twice. They might if the email were more corporate.

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles

I love them, but the selection is so small right now, I really just got one to mess around with.

I hope it takes off with music, because I buy plenty of full albums and would love to have it with all of them. Unfortunately, I don't really expect it to be too popular; hopefully I'm wrong.

With movies, on the other hand, I can see it being big.

Parky

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2006
Apple TV is the lameness that keeps on giving lameness.:D

I love my Apple TV and have done since I bought it.
Iy has been upgraded twice in a significant way FOR FREE, not something you see very often. I use it all the time to show my own photos, movies on my big HD TV. I also buy TV series and they are great as well. Bought the Iron Man with Extras, just like owning a DVD version now with the on screen menus, extras, etc. It's a great device.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
iTunes LP is a good concept. I haven't bought any "LP's" yet, because I think the format should be Apple Lossless, not 256k COMPRESSED .aac. LP's on the old days where about sound FIDELITY as well.

DavidCarnicelli

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2008
Denver
Apple TV is the lameness that keeps on giving lameness.:D

I love mine too. It does exactly what I need it to do: gets media from multiple computers onto my TV and, consequently, into my stereo since it acts as an Airtunes station as well.

I don't want cable, I don't want Netflix Streaming, I don't want old, bad 70's TV and I don't want netmercials.

I don't understand why people are so down on Apple TV. It's a great product.

suss2it

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
I have it for Jay-Z Blueprint 3.

iTunes LP is a good concept. I haven't bought any "LP's" yet, because I think the format should be Apple Lossless, not 256k COMPRESSED .aac. LP's on the old days where about sound FIDELITY as well.
I was hoping with iTunes 9 the store would upgrade to lossless, hopefully in a year or so.

gusnyc

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2007
New York City
I love my TV

I really like my Apple TV. I think it is great. Very simple, I watch TV shows and movies, with much better quality than the HD from the Cable (and cheaper!).

It syncs flawlessly with my computer, and it works great with the remote App for the iPhone. I also listen to music on it.

I have Mika's LP (which is great in iTunes). I haven't tried it yet on the Apple TV. The LP is a cool format as well. It gives "body", almost a physical presence to the digital downloads.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
I love them, but the selection is so small right now, I really just got one to mess around with.

I hope it takes off with music, because I buy plenty of full albums and would love to have it with all of them. Unfortunately, I don't really expect it to be too popular; hopefully I'm wrong.

With movies, on the other hand, I can see it being big.

I beg to differ!

You need to look at the platform Apple is putting in place: The Mac, iPhone, Apple TV, and soon the Tablet! This will encompass your entire life and digital lifestyle seamlessly.

I am going to make a prediction right now... Apple will introduce in iLife or the Final Cut Studio the ability to author iTunes LPs and iTunes Extras. CD burning and DVD authoring will become a thing of the past.

Look at the signs and you will see that it has already been planned for a while as Apple lets their DVD authoring apps fade into the past! This is not just some iTunes gimmick, this is an all out war for the future format of digital content and the devices we use. Also note Apple will not deliver Blu-ray. Why? Wait till iTunes Extras go 1080p and you'll see. Wait till Apple releases an SDK and the App Store on the Apple TV. Wait till you use your Tablet or iPhone as a game controller and remote controller with your Apple TV and all its games, and apps, and digital content on the big screen. This is all strategic.

Mark my words! :D:eek::cool:

Anyone agree with me?

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I beg to differ!

You need to look at the platform Apple is putting in place: The Mac, iPhone, Apple TV, and soon the Tablet! This will encompass your entire life and digital lifestyle seamlessly.

I am going to make a prediction right now... Apple will introduce in iLife or the Final Cut Studio the ability to author iTunes LPs and iTunes Extras. CD burning and DVD authoring will become a thing of the past.

Look at the signs and you will see that it has already been planned for a while as Apple lets their DVD authoring apps fade into the past! This is not just some iTunes gimmick, this is an all out war for the future format of digital content and the devices we use. Also note Apple will not deliver Blu-ray. Why? Wait till iTunes Extras go 1080p and you'll see. Wait till Apple releases an SDK and the App Store on the Apple TV. Wait till you use your Tablet or iPhone as a game controller and remote controller with your Apple TV and all its games, and apps, and digital content on the big screen. This is all strategic.

Mark my words! :D:eek::cool:

Anyone agree with me?

Yes. :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I've bought Muse's iTunes LP but I won't be buying any more until they can go full screen on my MacBook.

Having to scroll around even though I have the required 1280x800 screen is a pain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.