Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

170508-macbook_2010_ports.jpg

A new support document posted today outlining the ports and connectors included on Apple's updated MacBook confirms that the new model supports transmission of both audio and video via its Mini DisplayPort output. The feature allows users to run a single cable (when using a compatible Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter) from their computer to their home theater system or television.
Mini DisplayPort (video out): Connect to an external display, projection device, or TV that uses a DVI, HDMI (audio and video) or VGA connector with a separate adapter.
According to a footnote regarding the HDMI compatibility, users should be sure to use a VESA-compliant adapter to enable the full capabilities.

Apple's current MacBook Pro and iMac models already support this functionality, and it will be reassuring to some potential customers that even Apple's low-end notebook also offers the convenient connectivity.

Apple has yet to update its support document regarding non-compliant Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapters to reflect the new MacBook's capabilities, but will likely do so in the near future.

Article Link: Updated MacBook Supports Both Audio and Video Output via Mini DisplayPort

The Tuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2003
do the 13" MBP first gen aluminum models support this feature?

Not officially, but there has been talk about it being a firmware issue. Apple could update it later to support audio and video if they wanted to.

-The Tuck

lewchenko

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2004
This deserves a very slow clap...

Apple could have simply equipped the laptop with a HDMI port instead if they wanted to.

Now they should atleast throw in a mini Display port to DVI or HDMI adapter in the box. The laptop is god damn expensive enough to say its supposed to be 'low end'... christ... £850 in the UK.. That is very expensive for a low end laptop. The specs compare to a mid range Sony or Hp machine which are around £500.

Basically this laptop connects to no screen other than Apple's LED screen's (which hardly anybody owns) unless you buy an adapter.

That's apple all over that is. Colour me unimpressed.... not by the laptop mostly, but by the outrageous price for so little features.

apmagetatto

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
Sorry if stupid question, but:

Is this a hardware or software change?

Ie, any chance this feature will ever be duplicated on my late 2009 unibody white macbook?

adamw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2006
This seems to be a move in the right direction! Thanks Apple...

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
This really pisses me off that Apple NOW fixes the mini displayport and the rest of us with Macbook/Pros before the most recent ones are left out in the cold. Knowing Apple they are not going to issue a firmware fix for the older Macbooks. Just bought my office a projector that uses HDMI and it has a built-in speaker. I'm screwed because the mini displayport on my Macbook doesn't transfer audio. That's tech for ya. :rolleyes:

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
Why doesn't it specify anywhere if the Apple mini displayport to HDMI adaptor is VESA compliant? Not even on their own support page is it mentioned.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008

Apple could have simply equipped the laptop with a HDMI port instead if they wanted to.

Now they should atleast throw in a mini Display port to DVI or HDMI adapter in the box. The laptop is god damn expensive enough to say its supposed to be 'low end'... christ... £850 in the UK.. That is very expensive for a low end laptop. The specs compare to a mid range Sony or Hp machine which are around £500.

Basically this laptop connects to no screen other than Apple's LED screen's (which hardly anybody owns) unless you buy an adapter.

That's apple all over that is. Colour me unimpressed.... not by the laptop mostly, but by the outrageous price for so little features.

Why do people make such a huge deal over adapters or two connector cables? I for one prefer the MDP over HDMI. Just get a MDP to HDMI cable over at monoprice for like $10 and get over it. Theres no need to make this a big deal. The thing sends digital signals just like HDMI.

this is just stereo i guess?

I would think multi-channel support.

jminush

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
d-town, AL

I think I'm going to have to totally agree with you. I was hoping they would have at least bump the 2GB RAM up to 4GB ... surely ... I mean they really didn't do very much IMO to the machine & price pointed it the same & took back $50 bucks of the $100 education discount on it. Why even buy this when you can just pay $150 bucks more & buy yourself a low end 13" MacBook Pro. I see no reason why anyone would spend the money on a regular MacBook. If $150 bucks means that much to you in the long run then you should probably think about buying a mediocre HP for $400-$500 from Wal-Mart.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Apples response....since we didnt invent HDMI we wont use it, just stupid in todays world of hdtv. Start adding the hdmi jacks you bunch of greedy morons. HDMI! This is the kind of stupid stuff that makes people want to buy Dell.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Knowing Apple they are not going to issue a firmware fix for the older Macbooks. Just bought my office a projector that uses HDMI and it has a built-in speaker. I'm screwed because the mini displayport on my Macbook doesn't transfer audio.
And plugging in an extra audio cable would kill you?

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Apples response....since we didnt invent HDMI we wont use it, just stupid in todays world of hdtv.
Yeah, and since Apple did not invent DP or DVI (or VGA), they won't use it either.
Apple made a decision for DP over HDMI. But apparently only morons would do so. And all those people shipping anything with DP in it are morons.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
My MBP had a mDP to VGA adaptor in its box, so you can hardly say it only connects to Apple's screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.