Updated OSX, now boot-switch gone?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jamesmcd, Mar 19, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Hey all,

I installed Windows XP SP2 on my iMac 20" and everything was going fine, until I updated my Mac OS X from 10.4.4 to 10.4.5

Now, when I restart, I do not get the silver apple/windows logo to switch between booting.

My gut instinct tells me that if I bless the xom.efi file again, it will come back, however I just wanted to check with someone.

2. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Just bless the xom file. That should do it. I updated though and it did not cause a problem at all. Wierd.

3. macrumors 65816

mark!

I've read this 'bless' thing many times...what does it mean? :eek:

4. macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Sudo bless tells the computer to make the file bootable. So, if you do
    sudo bless --folder . --file xom.efi --setBoot

Terminal tells the computer to make the file xom.efi bootable, then setBoot command makes it so that it boots xom.efi when your computer turns on.

5. macrumors member

So is it true I could remove the file when I don't want to use XP and auto-boot into OS X?

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

Wouldn't that leave a blank? Meaning the disk wouldn't start at all? or would it choose a default operating system...

7. macrumors regular

my xomhelper app can be used to quickly make sure you have the appropriate xom.efi installed and bless them. You can also REVERT to remove the xom.efi and re-bless the original boot.efi. It can also be used to create the slipstream CD and an iso image of that CD.

-Compufix

http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=362