Updated Photos of Acer's Ultrabook

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Oppressed, Aug 9, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

Oppressed

Can no one have an original thought these days? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502a

Uhhh... no one cares for unintelligent bashing of Apple competitors.

It's just another laptop. Can another company not make an ultra thin laptop without you accusing them of copying the Macbook Air? I mean come on.

3. macrumors 6502

+1. What was an ultrabook supposed to look like? I guess they could have made it black... but that would be copying samsung, right? I dunno, there are only so many ways to make something aesthetically appealing.

4. macrumors 68000

Nice. I like it. Although I'm more curious about the upcoming Asus ultrabook.

5. macrumors regular

Look just cause its another laptop doesn't mean it's not copying the MacBook Air. Just look at the colors and overall design. Look at the trackpad. Look at the Hinge. Seriously.

Even the 9 series can be considered a "copy" but I don't blame them. Point is, Apple started this, they're following with "copycats".

I'm not saying it's bad that they copy. It's not. It's great competition. But it's still copying.

6. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Sony came out with an ultra-thin notebook 4 years before Apple did.

[​IMG]

There's only one explanation: Sony traveled into the future, saw what Apple had designed, went back in time four years earlier, and produced it themselves.

Damn Sony, those copycats! Damn them to hell!

7. macrumors regular

What laptop is this? o.o

8. Oppressed, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011

thread starter macrumors 65816

Oppressed

It isn't unintelligent. Look at the damn thing and tell me that it isn't almost a complete copy of the MBA design. At least Sony's ultra books are unique in design.

I'm all for ultrabooks to be produced by competitors, because it will keep Apple on their toes. But this doesn't inspire any inspiration among their industrial design team.

The images I showed are obvious in how much they mimic the MBA design. Sony did have ultra portables before others and I respect them for it. I just would hope that current ultra book designers would think of some more unique designs.

Case and point, the Samsung Series 9 is an awesome example of unique ultraportable design.

9. macrumors G4

Toshiba came out with the Libretto in 1996 and the Portege soon afterward.

That said, Apple did reinvent the ultraportable concept with the MacBook Air. The tapered design was all theirs, and the ultra books do share a distinct resemblance to it. Note they are copying the design of the Air, and not the Libretto, Portege, or Vaio Z.

Samsung and Sony are doing their own thing, which I think is better marketing. They aren't trying to look like the MacBook Air, or in Sony's case, replicate its internals, either.

10. macrumors regular

Exactly. Acer NEVER made a trackpad like that before. At least Samsung's 9 series differentiated and the ASUS ultra book is different a bit as well.

11. macrumors 6502a

Apple started all of this? Huh? What? Thin laptops didn't exist before Apple's Macbook Air?

Please, educate yourself before you pose a false argument.

It's a freaking thin laptop with a metallic look, a keyboard, and a trackpad. Those are the only similarities. And no, the hinge isn't the same: the screen raises as you pull it out; on the Air, the screen panel dips behind the base and lowers.

I don't get it with all these angry Apple fanboys. They think anything Apple has created is somehow the start of every fad, and everyone to create anything like Apple's products are simply followers. Get this: Just because you use mainly Apple products and mainly only know Apple products doesn't mean the world shares your zealous views.

Ooooh a flat trackpad. How innovative? Come on...

When Windows 8 comes out, if they offer multitouch gestures on a trackpad, multiple desktops, and whatnot... I bet people are going to flock to that and say "omg they copied Apple AGAIN!!!". I mean come on...

12. macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

13. macrumors regular

Thin laptops. I'm sorry, the MacBook Air was revolutionarily thin compared to all competitors. I know this very well. I used many ultraportables before settling on an Air.

A single button trackpad that was only in MacBooks until Samsung and the first Chromebook prototype.

Why the eff are you on MacRumors talking about Apple fanboys?

Meanwhile, I used Android (1 1/2 years) for longer than I've used iOS (4 months?) and I'm an Android developer. Also I used Windows for 18 years until this last year.

14. thread starter macrumors 65816

Oppressed

My main beef is why the sudden fascination with light colored aluminum? I miss black. And the Asus' brushed aluminum seems awesome though.

15. macrumors 68040

Apple OC

still runs windows ... many people buy Apple for the OSX alone

16. LeakedDave, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011

macrumors regular

Acer TimelineX before copying the Air:

[​IMG]

^^ I owned that.

Here's a MacBook Air:

[​IMG]

And here's a new Acer Ultrabook copying an Air:

[​IMG]

Note how they copied the trackpad, the thinness, the color, the keyboard, the hinge, ...

17. macrumors 68000

Well, at least Apple came up with the full-screen app idea for Lion before Microsoft had a chance to copy it.

Oh, wait...

18. macrumors 6502

19. macrumors 6502a

And the thread goes silent (I agree with you).

Then another fanboy will come in and start spewing garbage again.

I have nothing against Apple. I love Apple. But I have a bone to pick with fanboys who spew misinformation and idiotic comments. They assume everyone is copying Apple without doing any research about anything that came before Apple.

Here's a tip for anyone who wants to state fact: Don't set the bar at Apple and only look forward. Take a moment to look backward and realize that maybe, just maybe, Apple wasn't first for everything. -_-

Not to mention some ideas are simply being raced at. Often times multiple companies want to implement an idea, and Apple is a huge company that is good at that... they simply get to an obvious idea first. Other companies may take longer to implement it well, but they aren't copying Apple, they're simply slower to come to a similar conclusion that everyone was trying to get at.

20. macrumors 6502

Seriously?

21. macrumors 65816

The thing about this Acer ultrabook is that not only is it thin and light like the Macbook Air, but it clearly takes a lot of inspiration from the Macbook Air's industrial design.

Look at the curved corners, aluminum and black keyboard design, hinge design with the black plastic etc. Then look at the sony and Sharp laptops posted here. Very different. Apple didn't copy Sony or Sharp in the design look and feel, but Acer has clearly copied the Macbook Air.

22. thread starter macrumors 65816

Oppressed

This.

I think its pretty obvious that Apple wasn't the first on almost anything. If anything I would credit the first ultra portable laptop to sony z series years ago. The point of the thread was to show that up coming ultra books are taking a more "if you can't beat them, join them" approach to their industrial design.

I suppose I should edit the first post to say something along the lines of "Look at another company with upcoming ultra book designs and look at how similar they are to the Macbook Air. Couldn't they have thought of a design that is unique to their own?"

My, to the point, comment seems to have stirred the pot with a few people.

23. macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

24. macrumors 65816

Exactly. There are other ways to design a thin notebook than exactly the same as the Macbook Air.

It's the same situation Samsung has found itself with their Galaxy S phones. They have clearly tried to ape the look of the iPhone 3G with the rounded corners and metal bezel, whereas other manufacturers like HTC have taken a unique industrial design approach.

25. macrumors regular

When you mix it all together, yes. -_-

You really don't think it's a copycat? I'm not saying they should be sued or pulled from the market.

Although if Acer WAS sued for this one I wouldn't oblige honestly. It's too close. Just like how the Tab 10.1 is too close to the iPad 2. The other UltraBooks however look great and differentiate from the Air.