Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After several leaks hinting at its upcoming release, Apple has pushed an iOS 7-inspired redesign of its Remote app to the App Store.

The new app, which allows control of iTunes and Apple TV products directly from the iPhone and iPad, has been completely redesigned for iOS 7 and adds support for iTunes 11.1. The last major update to Remote came nearly a year ago with support for iTunes 11, with a bug fix release coming this past January.

ios7remote.jpg
Remote is designed to be in perfect sync with the new iTunes. It is simpler, easier, and gives you new ways to browse your library and see upcoming songs with Up Next. With just a few taps on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, you can add new songs to hear them next from iTunes on a Mac or PC, or an Apple TV. Choose playlists, songs, and albums as if you were in front of your computer or Apple TV. Or play them from iCloud with iTunes Match on Apple TV. Change a song, pick a playlist, or browse your entire library from anywhere in your home. Control your Apple TV with the flick of your finger or use the keyboard to quickly tap out a title instead of clicking letters on the Apple TV screen.
Aside from Remote, iBooks, iTunes U and Find My Friends are still awaiting iOS 7 redesigns.

Remote is a free download from the App Store for the iPhone and iPad. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Updated 'Remote' App With iOS 7 Redesign Hits App Store

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I was really afraid they would update this app, because it would require newer versions of iOS that older versions wouldn't be able to run (e.g. iPod Touch gen 1). However, with the new 'latest compatible version' feature, I don't have to worry!

Well...now I have to worry that newer AppleTV and AppleTV and iTunes software won't support the old version of remote.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Now if only we can get a new, leather-free version of Find My Friends. I use that app frequently.

staveb

macrumors member
May 13, 2009
I was really afraid they would update this app, because it would require newer versions of iOS that older versions wouldn't be able to run (e.g. iPod Touch gen 1). However, with the new 'latest compatible version' feature, I don't have to worry!

Well...now I have to worry that newer AppleTV and AppleTV and iTunes software won't support the old version of remote.

You should just updated everything and sell your old junk on eBay, I don't think anything older than a year old makes any sense to hold onto. Update update update!

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
Does this let you see what you are navigating through on your iPhone. For example, can I see the Netflix lists on the phone while I am looking for a title. I'd love to be able to turn on a show for the kids upstairs from my phone downstairs without tying it up using the Airplay.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I wish the Music app was more like this. Dark now playing screen, nicer color, no huge album art (esp. in playlists view), Up Next.

Noticed one bug already, though: Transparency is gone when you tap Search.

Can anybody say if it can be used in landscape mode ?

Nope.

thechungster

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
I wished the default music app had the transparency for the 'Now Playing' mode as per Remote. It looks lovely!

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
How about updating Keynote Remote? (and bringing back the Texas Hold'em App?)

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
I find the iOS overly simplistic style better represented here by the black background with white lettering than the opposite, white background, blinding style in most of their apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.