updated scripts to v5

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by mc68k, Oct 12, 2004.

1. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

i updated the scripts today...took me about half an hour

sorry i didn't meet my weekend promise

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Many people should be happy now.

I hope they remember to thank you. ;)

3. RugoseCone macrumors 6502

Thank you!

I'm half way through a p295 so I won't be able to update until late Wednesday or early Thursday. I'll post if I have any issues...

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Well here's my big thank you! You've done a great service and we appreciate it. :)

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

No problem, we are realize that you have a life outside of MacRumors also. Thank you for your work to assist us all and that of medical research. ;)

Just to be safe than sorry will this updated script work with a Power Mac Dual 450? Is the install intuitive?

7. mc68k thread starter macrumors 68000

mc68k

yeah it's the same as before. just make sure u uninstall the old one first using the command 'rid'

any non-completed WUs will be deleted

8. meeble macrumors member

so mc68k, what's the main benefit for upgrading older macs with the v5 of F@H? I don't want to mess with a bunch of macs unless it will give me more bang for the buck.

peace-
    meeble

9. mc68k thread starter macrumors 68000

mc68k

well i just did it to be up-to-date. fah5 is just a wrapper for the underlying cores, which havent been updated recently. so theres no real benefit other than the new version feeling we all love

10. meeble macrumors member

hehe, ok. ;)

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, so now I understand it's fah5 for the G5. What do you mean by updated recently?

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Does this mean I also have a life?

If I get this right...you download the script, trash the old version (in this case, fah4) and then run the script?

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you're currently using his scripts, download the new one and read the readme file before doing anything else. ;)

14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I'm not, but next version I wanted to see how it worked overall...kinda. I've gotten 10 hours of sleep out of the last 48, so bear with me as I make random posts. :D

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

At least, I can figure out what you're saying now. :D I'm not sure how you're starting FAH4 but after downloading the new FAH5 executable, you'll place it in the directory where you now have FAH4. If it's a console version and you start the current one by typing ./FAH4, then you'll start it with ./FAH5 instead. If you use a GUI client, you can just download and start the new GUI client.

By the way, thanks for joining the team. I saw it in your message but I didn't think to mention it.

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I'm gonna read your post in the morning. Too many words... :confused:

BTW, I have been folding for a little while now...#701 on the team! :D

17. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

My WU's seem to have fallen into a black hole since running the new script

mc68k

I ran your updated scripts on my dual 1.8 G5, and I'm pretty sure that I put in my name correctly, but for some reason, my production has fallen off. I'm runing 2 other computers, a G4 867 powerbook and a dell notebook from work, but my production has dropped to 1 WU a day over the last few days, which seems low. Is it possible to double check my info and/or reinput my name and team without running the scripts again?

18. mc68k thread starter macrumors 68000

mc68k

to double check open terminal and type
    Code:
    egrep "(user|team)" ~/F\@H1/client.cfg ~/F\@H2/client.cfg
    to change team/username use
    Code:
    cd ~/F\@H1/; ./fah5 -configonly
    cd ~/F\@H2/; ./fah5 -configonly
    leave the other settings alone if you dont know what they do. after changing it would be a good idea to restart F@H...im not sure if it sends in work with the old settings or not

macrumors is team 3446

19. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

Thanks, I found the black hole!

mc68k,

Thanks for the help. It turns out that I had entered the info correctly, but the problem was an improper termination of the FAH client. (I should have checked this first, but the timing seemed to correlate exactly to the update. Sorry to have wasted your time.)

Just to let people know, when the client is terminated incorrectly, it automatically turns off altivec when it restarts. This causes the time it takes to work on a problem to increase dramatically! For example, I'm running two processes, F@H1 and F@H2. On F@H1 it was completing a step every 10 mins before it terminated, after, it was every 19 minutes. On F@H2, it was worse, it went from a step every 36 minutes, to 2 hours and 10 minutes! No wonder this machine stopped reporting work units.

Thanks again to mc68k for responding so quickly. I wish there were a way to know when the client terminates improperly. All you have to do to reset it, is to stop and restart it.

[edit:typo]