Updated to 10.4.3, iMac fan races, won't start up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by silo, Dec 5, 2005.

1. silo macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2005
    I'm running a 5 month old 20" iMac with 1.5GB RAM, have had no troubles whatsoever until performing a routine software update last week to OSX 10.4.3 (from whatever was previous to that). When I restarted fan began to race and it took ten minutes to start up. Strange, but it ran okay after that. Yesterday it slowed to a crawl and wouldn't even pop open desktop folders. When I restarted (with all periphials removed) again fan raced but no start up -- just Apple logo on grey screen and spinning wheel. I ran the Tech Tools included on Apple Care disc which found no problems -- except it couldn't test Volume Structures (just learned that it might be an older version of TT which won't work w/ Volume Structure test), but now machine won't reboot past logo and spinning wheel, with the Apple Care disc unable to eject, and fan continues to race. Very frustrating, deadlines loom. Any help would be appreciated!
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Try taking the extra RAM out (even if it was from Apple). The 10.4.3 update has got a name for itself, breaking quite a few chips of RAM. :eek:

Maybe run fsck too. :)