Updated to iTunes5, now Mac can't see PC shares

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by agentphish, Sep 7, 2005.

1. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

My Powerbook can no longer see my PC's shared itunes library on my network after updating to itunes5. Does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong. My pc can still see/play my mac's shared library w/o any issue.

My friend several states away is having the exact same problem.

Ideas?

2. supergod macrumors 6502

Same problem here too. I wonder if maybe once the PC users download the new iTunes it will go back to normal.

Its just another thing to add to the list of problems I'm having since this damned upgrade. Waking from sleep into the blue screen, fans going on full bore... this is just ridiculous. I recently reinstalled Tiger and started my computer off fresh, everything was going perfectly and now I download a quicktime upgrade and... damn.

3. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

heh... I was runing 5 on my PC as well... so no thats not the answer.
    I went back to 4.9, found the .dmg for download.

F 5.0 - Good for nothing.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not the first report I've seen of this today.

McAfee's firewall on my Dell needed to be told to allow the new iTunes and Bonjour to have access to the network. Could it be something as simple as that? It's also strange that on my home PC the iTunes 5.0 install required a reboot, while that was not the case at work. They are both XPSP2 boxes. :confused:

Anyhow, I updated the PC to 5.0, but left the iBook at 4.9 so far and I can see the Dell's library just fine. I will update the iBook to 5.0 tomorrow night. I will also update the kids' PC and look for issues.

B

5. oldpismo macrumors member

I can see PC shared music on the mac, with PC software running at both 4.9 and 5.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

LOL.

I just installed 5.0 on the iBook and couldn't see my PC library. Turns out during the reboot it somehow lost my WEP key and thus decided to join my neighbor's open WiFi. :eek:

Once I fixed that I can see the PC library again. phew!

I also enabled sharing the other way and got an error message at first when trying to open the iBook's library from the Dell. (It was in the sources). I disabled sharing on the iBook and then reenabled it and all was well with the world

B

7. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I didn't even need to reboot for that to happen. I had turned my powerbook airport card off and when I got home turned it back on. Everything was fine and dandy until about three hours later I noticed I was using a wireless network called 'Stuart's'...my name isn't Stuart...but my neighbour's is....

8. agentphish thread starter macrumors 65816

agentphish

yeah, I downgraded my powerbook back to 4.9... Now all shares are fine. I dont know guys. Any other suggestions?