Updates for a new ibook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by semaja2, Dec 20, 2005.

1. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys how big would all the updates be for a brand new ibook 12" g4 right off the shelf, i ask becuase i have 500 megs left on my limit and was wondering if i should bother updating it this month

PS is there a way to download all the updates off a website so when i get it i can just load them straight on

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Run Software Update to see how large the files are that you need. If you just bought it, there won't be much that's needing to be installed. If you want to keep the updates, you can select to Install And Keep Package from the Update menu. :p

3. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol i knew u would reply mad jew, well im getting the ibook on christmas so eg 4 days to go, so i cant really get to that software update :p. Why would the updates be small do they update them even when on the shelf? :p

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ha, I should have remembered you didn't have it yet. :p

Yeah, they update the OS in the machines as each update is released so it's dependent on how long your has been sitting around really. I'd bet an entire smiley that it'll come with 10.4.3 and it's those incremental updates that are large. You'll probably just get a security update or two, at the most. :)

5. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol ok can ya estimate how big that big patch would of been tho becuase it was david and jones knowing them it has been sitting there for 2 months :p

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, at the bottom of this page, there should be a list of all the recent Apple updates with the newest at the top. Not all of them are relevant to your iBook though. At a guess, I reckon you'll get the iPod one (not needed unless you have a Shuffle) and a single security update at roughly 5MB. The 10.4.3 update was anywhere between 60MB and 120MB for the non-OSX server people (like us). I really doubt you'll have to download it though, it'll most likely come with 10.4.3. :)

7. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks once again mad jew the robot jew thats like a super hero :p , well it looks like ill be able to fit it into my limit this month

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If worse comes to worst, we might be able to arrange something to get you 10.4.3. :)

9. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for ya support but i think ill be ok as long as its under 300 mb and no one else goes crasy downloading here :p

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You really should be fine. To be honest, it wouldn't be a problem leaving it on 10.4.2 until your ISP account rolls over. It's not like Windows, there are very few security problems so you don't generally need the latest updates immediately.

11. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeh i just thought like before i install anything i should make sure its updated to ensure its all corect

12. mbopy22 macrumors 6502

mbopy22

I'm new to Mac and I bought my iBook a month and a half ago.. when I turned on at the Hotel it automaticlly warned me that there were some actualizations.. the major one was 10.4.3 and a Quicktime plus some other I can not remember now, I do not thing all of them were more than... jmmm 160mb... total and there were at least 7 updates... anyhow, just go to an apple store an sit in front of it, use their high speed wi fi signal and download free whatever you want... LOL

13. semaja2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

lol i wish but i dont think it has free net connection or open wifi

14. mbopy22 macrumors 6502

mbopy22

Apple stores have free wi fi... I turned mine on for the first time at the Apple store when I bought it and it worked automatically... just try it... :p

or go to a Hotel that has free wi fi... order a beer, a cafe, water.. and go ahead... LOL:eek:

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

16. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

*Yikes* download limits? I've never even heard of an ISP with a download limit...how much do you get /month?

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Australian ISPs work differently. Our uploads are generally unmeasured (and unlimited) but we have download limits. Until recently, most ISPs had a surcharge for going over a set limit but it's now more common for the speed to simply be throttled back. I get 24Mbps for the first 40GB and then 1.5Mbps after that.

18. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

When I got my iBook G4 just recently, it shipped with Mac OS 10.4.3 (or was it 10.4.2- whatever the most recent version of tiger was at the time).

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Interesting choice of words...but, somehow it fits. :) ;)