Updates, Moved Apps, and Spotlight

Discussion in 'macOS' started by atszyman, Jul 25, 2005.

1. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

As a habit on Windows I typically organized applications into folders on the Start menu based on categories, Engineering, Multimedia, Games, etc.

When I moved to Mac I did the same to my Applications folder. I know this is not the same since on Windows I was only moving shortcuts, and on OS X I am moving the whole App. I have never had a problem with the applications themselves running, the one problem that occurs quite often is when I use Software Update to check for updates I will frequently end up with multiple copies of Quicktime, Mail, Safari, iTunes, etc ... at the top of my Applications folder, or it won't find updates for programs I know are installed since they have been moved (iPhoto). I know why it does this, but why can't they utilize Spotlight to keep track of where I move my apps so that when I update they can simply update the apps where I put them rather than put a completely new copy where I don't want it? Do others have this same problem or does everyone else simply leave their apps at the top level of Applications?

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

If you find it there, leave it there.

If you install an app, though, you can put it anywhere you want. If it required an installer, don't move it after the install.

HTH. :)

3. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Its not Windows. Leave it alone. You're just adding more work for yourself.

4. atszyman thread starter macrumors 68020

atszyman

Unfortunately I dislike clutter in my directories (not that it doesn't happen, but I don't like it) and thus one folder with all of my applications just sitting there really starts to get on my nerves after awhile. It is just easier for me to organize my apps with other similar apps so that it keeps my Applications folder in order.

The fact that this is Mac and not Windows makes my life much easier. I won't touch anything in Program Files for fear that it might move some critical .dll and cause none of my apps to work or worse yet cause the machine not to boot. With Mac I can freely move the actual apps around without fear, and like I said originally I have not had a single problem with any of my apps. I just find it a bit annoying that updates, from Apple no less, like to install duplicate apps since it doesn't like where I moved the original.

Given they hype they had for Spotlight this would seem like a natural fit. Use the Spotlight database to find what apps are installed and where they are, and then upgrade them there rather than just blindly putting another copy at the top level in the Applications folder.

I guess I really wasn't looking for solutions, I just wanted to vent and see if others had the same annoyance.

5. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Just build a folder of aliases for all your apps and organize it how you want. The Apple apps definitely shouldn't be moved.

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Mine all sit in Applications but I can't recall the last time I ever went digging around in the Applications folder since I use Quicksilver to launch everything now and there's no need to go ferreting around in there.

If it really bugs you then use the Finder preferences to take the Applications folder out of your sidebar, create a new folder called Apps to stick in your Sidebar and then use subfolders and aliases in that to organise your apps are you like it.

I did once read an article that had a good reason for why Software Update is as it is but I can't remember either the reason nor where I read it. I do think Apple creates some confusion themselves by having a Utilities folder within Applications which encourages people to think they can have folders too.