Updates to Intel iMac coming in 3-6 months?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by XraggedX, Jan 14, 2006.

  1. XraggedX macrumors member

    XraggedX

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2006
    Location:
    South Orange County
    #1
    I decided to buy my first mac about a month ago. I just started a Visual Design Bachelors program and i want to be able to use the programs we use at school in my own time at home. Current courses on Final Cut Pro this term.

    I also wanted to run Pro Tools LE and other 3D and design software.

    I read that Final Cut Pro is not compatable threw Rosseta, and Pro Tools is not compatable with the intels yet.

    so this is forcing me to wait 3 months or more for all these programs to go native till the mac will be usable to me.

    My Question is: Does anyone expect there to be new features to the Intel iMac in the next few months. like upgraded grapics cards (x1800 people have mentioned), 2gig ram chips so iMac would be upgradeable to 4Gigs. or any other upgrade worth waiting for.

    If Yes there is a possibility for this, then i'll probably wait till the programs are fully native.

    If No the changes are very small for these upgrades so soon, then i will probably buy a new iMac this week/weekend so that i can begin to get farmilliar with the OS as i'm very new to the workings of Mac.

    Thanks for all the Help....
     
  2. starnox macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2005
    #2
    I reckon they will update it when the new intel desktop CPUs come out. Which will be in about 6 months time, or with a faster Core Duo chip. That's what I am waiting for.

    I will either get a Rev B iMac Intel or a their new PowerMac.
     
  3. XraggedX thread starter macrumors member

    XraggedX

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2006
    Location:
    South Orange County
  4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

    Josh396

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2004
    Location:
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    #4
    I don't think they'll let the iMac be able to reach 4 GB of RAM anytime soon. The same goes for the X1800. The only reason I would think the X1800 is a possibility for the next revision is that Apple has upgraded the video card on each of the last 3 revisions of the iMac, possibly 4. I don't really see any major upgrades coming on the next revision except a speed bump but if the apps you need to use aren't ready yet then I would wait and see what happens. The worst that could happen is you wait 3 months for the universal binaries to be ready and theres no update. By then you'll be able to order your iMac and receive it within 3 or 4 days and you'll also know if they are any problems with the Rev. A iMacs. My guess is the next update will be around June or July.
     

Share This Page