Updates: Where do the files goes ?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by legarem, Mar 2, 2006.

1. legarem macrumors newbie

I have two Macs. I use the office Mac with a DSL modem so I can do fast updates regularly.

At home, my Mac is equipped with a 56K modem so i don't do any updates because 56 K modem is too slow to do this task.

When I do the updates in the office mac, do the system keeps the updates in .dmg or another kind of file so I can take them and install them in my house mac ?

Thanks

Marc legare

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Select to Install And Keep Package from the Update menu. :)

3. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Ordinarily, software update doesn't store the actual updater on your machine. You can choose "download and keep package" from the update menu when software update notifies of an update, then software update installs the update file package (which is opened by the installer app) in your /system/library/packages.

But if your Mac at work is a different Mac than the one at home, and it's an OSX update (such as 10.4.5), you're better off downloading the combo update from Apple's website, burn it to disk and use that to update your Mac at home. Software update normally just installs the files your particular Mac needs for an OS X update, which is why the size of the updater file varies from machine to machine. So trotting home with a software update-sourced package for an OS X update that was applied to your work machine probably won't install on a different Mac model at home, and if it does, will likely not be very healthy for it.

4. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Ahh, I remember when I used to do that.... Before I got broadband.
    The world was so dark back then. And cold. Not the warm and fuzzy world I know now.