Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthews1492

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2005
Hiya,

Had a simple question. I just got a new imacg5 with tiger and it rocks. My powerbook (an 867 with 512 ram) is still back in the dark ages running 10.2.8. I had heard something about tiger using a lot more system resources. My question is would it be detrimental to my powerbook to install it (i get by just fine with 10.2.8) or would there be a performance boost.

And would the cd that came with my Imac work for installing it?

Thanks a bunch.

Matthew

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
The DVD that came with the new iMac is for a singe license so it'd be illegal for you to use it on the old PowerBook. IIRC, it probably won't work either.

However, if you buy another license, your PowerBook should run pretty well with Tiger. I've got an iBook with similar specs that's flying along with it right now, no problems. :)

matthews1492

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2005
dang didn't know that. I guess this will just have been a hypothetical question.

Thanks though!

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...my "old" 867 Powerbook runs Tiger nicely - at least for the things I am using it for as my secondary computer.

But Mad Jew is right, and this is something that comes up on these forums almost every day it seems. I hate to flog a dead horse but I still fail to comprehend how people think that getting a cd/dvd with one computer leads them to believe that they can take it and install it whever they please. Sorry, I don't mean to pick on you Matthew - you are just the latest victim heheheh - but inside the docs etc that came with the computer there is a piece of paper called the "licence agreement" - I think more people need to pay attention to it....oh yeah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.