Updating firmware in OS X

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by livingfortoday, Oct 19, 2005.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Hey everybody. I finally got my PowerLogix Dual 1.5Ghz upgrade card for my Cube, and it says I need to update my firmware to 4.1.9 (it's at 3.3.2 now, it says) before installing the card. Well, the Apple site says you need to boot from OS 9 to update your firmware, but I only have Tiger installed.

From the Apple site:
    "The G4 Cube Firmware Update 4.1.9 will run only on G4 Cube models running Mac OS 9.1 or later from a local hard disk. If you are using Mac OS X on your Cube, you must start up from a local Mac OS 9.1 or later writeable partition (not a CD or network disk) before following the update instructions."

Is there any way around this? I don't own a copy of OS 9, and really don't wanna have to go out and find one, and then reinstall my system all over again from scratch. Has nyone been able to figure out a way around this?

Thanks.

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

to my knowledge, there is no way around it. You have to get OS 9 on there. But once you find a copy, its no big deal, you jsut doa clean install of OS 9 and boot from it. you don't have to start from scratch or anything. OS 9 will leave OS X totally untouched. You'll spend like 2 minutes pressing OK on the installer, walk away for 20 minutse while it installs, reboot and do the update, then go back to OS X and continue as normal.

Are you sure you don't have OS 9 on there? I thought all machines came with classic installed, and on a machine that can boot to Os 9, you can simply switch to classic as the boot OS instead.

3. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

No, I'm pretty sure Tiger doesn't come with OS 9. It's not on my computer, anyways, and I just did a fresh install of Tiger a few months back...

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Your computer came with OS 9... just use the original System Disc.

5. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

No clue where that is, though... this Cube was inherited without the original disks.

6. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Just wanted to let you know that I managed to update the firmware (got a copy of 9 from my girlfriend (who'd a thunk it)), and I've now installed the Dual 1.5Ghz upgrade. It feels a LOT faster and more responsive, which I suppose is the most important thing. XBench gave me a score of 30 point something, which is better than the 20 point something I got with the original 500Mhz. But I don't really trust XBench.

Either way, this thing rocks! Thanks for the help, everybody.