Updating Itunes ruined everything!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TicaAmiga, Jul 31, 2006.

1. TicaAmiga macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2006
    I'm sure you'll tell me what I was doing was illegal, but I am sorry I updated to iTunes6. Back in the good old days of early iTunes (don't remember which version) I could play ANYTHING AND ALL from my external hard drive. My boyfriend and I collected 130GB of music between our own collections, our families and some close friends. Not widespread theivery, just sharing among family basically.

Then when I upgraded, and tried to play lots of the songs, it says "cannot play the song because the original file canot be located. would you like to locate it now?" Well hell no, if I wanted to go over to my cousin Jimmy's to locate and play it, I would have. So I am seriously considering erasing my computer (Not the external HD loaded with fabulous music) and installing the original software on my iMac (the one tha tlooks like a lamp with a flat screen) that had FRIENDLY and dumb iTunes software!!!

Any other suggestions / or other Music Players for Mac/?????? I'm ticked off and frustrated! Can't copy to CD or iPod either. ;-( ::seriously bummed::
  2. fenixx macrumors regular

Mar 23, 2006
    I think this means locate the file on the external hard drive, not at your "cousin Jimmy's".

3. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    I won't touch the legality of your actions, but the error you are getting can be fixed as long as all the music is still there on the external drive.

Did you, by any chance, move some files around on the external drive to clean things up a bit?

Look at any of the multitude of threads that talks about keeping your iTunes library on an external drive. Consolidate your library there and leave the external drive with the music connected, or you'll get this error often.

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    Error: "Cousin Jimmy" not found. Abort/Retry?
  5. gnasher729 macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
    One day Apple will make an idiot proof computer. Until then, try to engage the brain and think where the "original" files might be. Hint: Not at your cousin's.
  6. Hytower77 macrumors regular

Nov 9, 2005
    Some random place outside of Fort Worth, TX
    I needed a laugh...thanks.

Also, must be a little SOB to fit in that box...
  7. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    So I don't have to fly across the country to listen to MP3s I copied from Uncle Bob's computer to my computer? Holy crap, I'm going to save so much money on plane tickets now.
  8. Willis macrumors 68020

Apr 23, 2006
    What feels like the middle of nowhere
    its a shame some people dont try to work things out on their own first.... :rolleyes:
  9. ripfrankwhite macrumors regular

Dec 13, 2005
    That was hilarious! Thanks! I don't get to laugh that often, but that really hit the spot. Well done. :D
  10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA