Updating OS 9.0.4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rabidjade, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Rabidjade macrumors member

Is there a way to update this OS to the last version of OS9 made? I'm going to switch to a Mac clone here in a week or so while I auction my PC parts and buy new ones. Right now I have OS 9.0.4 installed on my Umax system with a G3 333mhz Sonett card and 512mb ram. I tried automatic software update but it said I don't need updating. Also, whats a good OS that I can download to run on this system. IE4.5 is just a little too old and "normal" for my liking. Thanks.

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Try this page.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

As noted on the page above, I just want to reiterate that you cannot jump directly from 9.0.4 to 9.2.2 using these updates.

You need to go 9.0.4 -> 9.1 -> 9.2.1 -> 9.2.2.

4. Rabidjade thread starter macrumors member

Mac pulled another famous move and said OS9.2.1 won't install because its not one of the listed processors that it allows. Someone want to explain to me again why processors are so critical in software installation? WinXP runs nice on my 333mhz P2

5. Dr. No macrumors regular

9.2 is optimized for the newer motherboards of G3 and G4 machines. 9.1 is the latest you can run.

9.1 and 9.2 are very similar, and you are not losing much by staying with 9.1.

6. Rabidjade thread starter macrumors member

Is there a website for beginers on OS9 that can answer some questions and/or is there a website that describes the differences between each version?