updating OS X 10.2.4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dolphin1, Dec 6, 2006.

  1. dolphin1 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2006
    #1
    I have an eMac that is running on OS X 10.2.4 -- can I update this to the 10.4.8 version? When I click on software updates, it's there to be downloaded but it's a big step up on the update - thought I'd ask.
     
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

    WildCowboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #2
    Should be fine...Apple offers combo and delta updaters (and delivers them to the appropriate folks) for just this sort of thing.
     
  3. jhu macrumors 6502a

    jhu

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2004
    #3
    10.2 to 10.4 requires purchasing a new operating system. do you mean 10.4.2 to 10.4.8?
     
  4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

    WildCowboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #4
    Oh wow...my eyes just read it as 10.4.2 and kept going merrily along.
     
  5. dolphin1 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2006
    #5
    no, it's running on 10.2.4 It's an older eMac. Hmmm.. I wonder why the 10.4.8 is there to be downloaded?
     
  6. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
  7. dolphin1 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2006
    #7
    nope - I just double checked (I'm on my ibook right now). Ho-hum... I called Mac Docs and they said I could only upgrade for free to 10.2.3 and then I'd have to buy tiger.
    Anyone know of anyplace with a good deal on tiger?? Their cost is 130.00.
     
  8. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

    SpookTheHamster

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2004
    Location:
    London
  9. roland.g macrumors 603

    roland.g

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2005
    Location:
    One mile up and soaring
    #9
    try ebay
     
  10. Chundles macrumors G4

    Chundles

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2005
    #10
    The last version of OSX 10.2 was 10.2.8 - you should be able to upgrade for free to at least that version.
     
  11. dolphin1 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2006
    #11
    Thanks. For now anyway, is it worth updating to 10.2.3?
    Will it make any difference? What I'm having problems with is the incoming mail using mail program. I called my ISP and he said that the error I'm getting is common with older Macs. If I updated it would help it out.
    I guess I could email them and ask them if the 10.2.3 would solve the problem or not. Do you guys think it's worth buying Tiger for it? Being an old computer. Not that I can afford a new one -
     
  12. psychofreak Retired

    psychofreak

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #12
    If you're relatively happy with your computer, but are thinking about upgrading partly for the OS, I suggest at least thinking about waiting for leopard, then getting a refurbished iMac or macbook at a great price with the latest OS.
     
  13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

    Eraserhead

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #13
    Download any free updates, you might as well, and they will make the machine more compatable, about upgrading to Tiger, its worth it if you have enough RAM (or can fit more, you probably need 512MB to 1GB), you can check this in Apple Menu==>About this Mac
     
  14. Chundles macrumors G4

    Chundles

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2005
    #14
    Wait, hold on a sec. You're asking about "upgrading" from 10.2.4 to 10.2.3? That's a downgrade. Notice the numbers, they go up in an upgrade.

    OSX 10.2 went from 10.2.0 to 10.2.8 so if you have 10.2.4 you can go to 10.2.8 for free.

    OSX 10.3 would be an upgrade but you'd have to purchase it. 10.3 went from 10.3.0 to 10.3.9.

    OSX 10.4 would also be an upgrade and would cost a little more than 10.3 because it's the most current version. So far we've had from 10.4.0 to 10.4.8 and there will probably be one or two more by the time 10.5 comes out.

    I get the feeling you're a bit confused, do you really have 10.2.4 or do you have some version of 10.4? Because what you're asking about downgrading to 10.2.3 isn't really possible. The numbers are meant to go up.
     
  15. dolphin1 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2006
    #16
    Typo!!! OOPS. that's what I meant. Oh, I just emailed my ISP and I'm sure I wrote 10.2.3 - ACK - better send another...
    So, YES, I meant 10.2.8. I'm going to do that later tonight.
    Sorry for the mixup and my typos! I guess that's a big error.
    I do have 10.2.4. I'm going to at least upgrade to the 10.2.8 tonight and go from there.
     
  16. dolphin1 thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2006
    #17
    I've only got 384MB. So, probably not enough. I think I'll just upgrade to what i can and then get another computer when I can. Hopefully my mail program will work good enough.
     
  17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2002
    Location:
    Gone but not forgotten.
    #18
    I'd run 10.3.x on a G3 iMac with 192 MB and it was okay but not great.

    I don't think you'll run into problem updating to 10.2.8 and it was quite stable.
     
  18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

    Eraserhead

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #19
    If you upgraded the RAM Tiger would run fine, it runs on a 300MHz G3, and you have a G4, so you shouldn't have problems, it might even be a bit quicker as they have optimised it more (though you need more memory).
     

Share This Page