Updating OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Pugdawg1, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Pugdawg1 macrumors member

Here I am with yet another potentially silly question. The iMac I'm currently on (have three now LOL), is a 700 MHz PowerPC G4... and it is running Mac OSX Version 10.2.8. Awhile back I did the update thing,I try to do that weekly now (until I got DSL, I wasn't really wanting to do that much, took forever with dial up) and updated it for what it said it needed. I'd like to update it further though.. as I understand it... 10.2.8 is a wee bit .. well old. Where can I go to update it? Why wouldn't it give me that option to do that with the Software Update feature?

2. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

You will have to buy a copy of Panther which is 10.3. You can buy it online from the Apple store or pick it up from any Apple certified retail store.

3. Pugdawg1 thread starter macrumors member

Thank You ... thought that might be the case but was being cheap and hoping I was wrong. LOL

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Tiger is coming out soon, though, so you might consider waiting a few months because Jaguar has been working quite well for you. It has for me. Just wait, IMO.

5. Pugdawg1 thread starter macrumors member

one more question... can a person use the disks that came with a G5.. os x is 10.3.6. and install that on the g4? Is that a big no-no? I have a g5, g4, and a nifty little ibook that fed ex dropped off today. :)

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...as I responded in the other threrad you started about the same topic - NO - that is a violation of the license agreement. Reading it would have told you that....oh yeah!

7. Pugdawg1 thread starter macrumors member

Well didn't hurt to ask. I will be waiting and buying later.

8. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....at this point in time, that is probably your best bet...we will probably get an update on Tiger at MWSF which might give a better indication of the ship date.

When Tiger is released, just buy yourself a copy of the "Family Pack" - assuming they will still offer it - you can then install on 5 computers in the same household (non-commercial use only) for $199 (again, assuming it is priced like previous versions)....oh yeah!

9. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

From where Tiger is now I doubt it is just a couple of months. I would agree with the masses that a June July release is the most likely.

jon

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

But if Jaguar works, then no reason to upgrade right now to Panther. And true, it could be June/July. But maybe not... And July is only 6 months away! (Give or take a few weeks... they aren't important :p)

11. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Adding my voice to the masses: Don't dish out for Panther. Save your pennies for the next six months or so, buy some extra RAM if you're desparate to spend some money. Repeating what others have said: If you've used Jaguar up until now, stick with it for a little while longer.