Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
East coast
Hello all, I have a quick question. I thought that iTunes was free of restricted music. I have a few songs in my library that have not updated yet. There is no notification in iTunes that they are to be updated. Is there somewhere I'm not looking? Can I just choose to download them again and iTunes will just get it right and see that it needs to be updated while I am downloading and charge the upgrade fee?

Thanks for the help,

Marc

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
If anything about the album you have with DRM has changed (bonus track added or removed, comma or hyphen, album title or band name changed slightly, etc.) you won't be able to upgrade it. You can email itunes support and ask if they'll allow you to upgrade even though you technically aren't supposed to be able to. They let me do this for three albums.

There may be other reasons for your problem, but I experienced the same problem and this was the reason I experienced it.

marcre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
East coast
Thanks for the reply. I don't think anything would have changed. These aren't songs from albums, just single songs that I purchased. I may try to email. It's not a big deal, but I'd like to have the better, DRM-free song.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
It could be some slight change, even from the album that you bought the single song from. For instance, one of the albums that I upgraded was from the band A.F.I. Later, itunes changed the band to AFI with no periods. That was enough.

marcre

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
East coast
It could be some slight change, even from the album that you bought the single song from. For instance, one of the albums that I upgraded was from the band A.F.I. Later, itunes changed the band to AFI with no periods. That was enough.

Hmmm, that's interesting. Thanks. I emailed iTunes support, so I'm just waiting to see what they say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.