updating to iTunes is not a good idea...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stateof2005, Sep 14, 2005.

1. stateof2005 macrumors newbie

I updated to iTunes now all my songs are not in iTunes? is there a way to search your hard disk to "find" all mp3's etc then automatically put them into my library? I really hope that I do not have to click and drag all the files... thanks for the help...

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

PC or Mac?

By default, iTunes will create an iTunes folder wherein it will keep all of your music. On a PC this is in the My Music folder and on a Mac it is in the Music folder by default. Dragging this folder into iTunes should add all your music back in. :)

3. stateof2005 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a new pb 12

mac... what i have found is that music that i have downloaded is in one folder and music that i have ripped from cd's is in another folder..?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is iTunes the app you used to rip your CDs? I recommend getting iTunes to Keep iTunes Music Folder Organised if it isn't already (it does by default though). Dragging any folder to your iTunes icon on your Dock should add all the music inside that folder to iTunes and it will be copied to the Music folder if it isn't already there. :)

5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

once you find the files, use the Add To Library command from within iTunes - add the whole folder where your music is. It's probably in the Music folder still.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Yeah I had this problem too stateof2005.

If you look on the iTunes discussion forums on Apple.com they have a fix there by moving your old iTunes_library.txt file back into the iTunes Music folder and deleting the new one. That way you'll keep all your stats involved with your music. Seems to work well for most people who've had the problem.

Unfortunately it didn't work for me though. I tried to add the folder through iTunes preferences but that still wouldn't work. After re-installing a few times I ended up dragging (selected all) all my artists folders (containing the songs) into the iTunes window just as you would a normal file. iTunes then recognised them from there. It was weird. Sucks to lose all your playlists and playcount etc but at least I didn't have to re-ripping them all.

Incidentally I think I hosed my update by force-quitting the Quicktime update which I thought had hung......