Updating to Tiger question.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sjpetry, Mar 5, 2005.

1. sjpetry macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
    When I update to Tiger I am going to Backup on an external hard drive. Will this save all of my setting with no problems?

Another question, should I only backup the apps I want? s their a was to save the settings along with the app?

I have a lot of crap on my hard drive and would prefer to do the latter.

Thanks. :)
  2. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    I would only back up your Home Folder. This will have all of your documents, photos, music, movies, settings, etc. in it. Its not a good idea to back up your apps and drag them back over to Tiger. You're only asking yourself for trouble down the road. You're better off to re-install them fresh. Also DO NOT drag your Library folder from your Home folder back over to the new Tiger OS Home Library folder. Again, you're only asking yourself for trouble. Tiger may have a little different code and library folder structure which may interfere with how your apps work in Tiger.

I'd just transfer things that won't change like your Safari bookmarks, OS X Mail mailboxes, your address book, and things like that.

So Yes, I strongly recommend you back all of your important stuff up. I also strongly recommend you do an erase and install when going to a totally new OS. The Upgrade and Install will only spell trouble for you. Its worth the extra hour or so to do the erase and install.

You probably won't have to worry about all of this for another 2 months or so. I seriously doubt Tiger will be released anytime with in the next 1 or 2 months. Were probably looking at the first week of June during the WWDC (World Wide Developers Conference).