Updating to Tiger while editing Final Cut Project

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fartheststar, Mar 15, 2005.

1. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

Dec 29, 2003
    Is there any safe way to upgrade to Tiger while working on an FCP Project and make sure all is ok? The reason why I ask is that I'm still on Jaguar and want some of the updates that Tiger can give me.

Here's the scenario: 20 minute DV project - unfinished

1. All Media and render files are NOT on the main boot HDD (2nd scratch disk HDD)
    2. FCP project and program files are on main boot HDD

I will be doing a few more special FX before the edit is done. Then I will be having the music and sfx professionally done - on a different computer. This means that I'll have to keep the project in tact on my computer while this is being done so that when it's complete, I can marry the sound and full scale video.

After that, will have to professionally color correct the footage (probably tape to tape) - I don't want to color correct on FCP myself.

Once that's done I could obliterate the system, load on Tiger and just "capture the whole movie" to the scratch disk as a new project in FCP and make DVD's from that.

But I really want to upgrade sooner (now! / April 15) to get some other things that Tiger offers that Jaguar does not. I don't want to screw up hours and hours and hours of work.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Don't risk the upgrade. Mission critical stuff like that shouldn't be put ahead of "Oh, purdy" things.

At least this will give you some incentive to finish before or on April 15th!
  3. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    Here goes with my suggestions:
    1. Back up all critical data onto optical media.
    2. Wait until you see feedback from others on what issues they have with Tiger.
    3. Maybe go into an Apple store and play with a computer that has Tiger and FCP on it.
    4. Maybe wait to upgrade to Tiger until after you have completed your edits and have sent it out for the music and sfx work.
    5. Unmount and disconnect and USB or firewire disks you have while doing the upgrade and do not reconnect them until after you have finished rebooting from the Tiger upgrade.

In truth, it shouldn't be an issue, especially if you follow the suggestions above.