Updating Windows XP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by wasimyaqoob, May 17, 2006.

1. wasimyaqoob macrumors 6502a

Hello,

I'm using Virtual PC on my PowerBook - And is it worth updating it to SP2 and all the other updates?

2. Killian macrumors member

It's definatly worth ditching Virtual PC and installing BootCamp, lol. I say it depends on how much you use it. If you need it alot and make alot of use of it, then go for it. But if you just use it for random things every so often, there's not really much point.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Powerbook implies PPC, so he may have a hard time installing Boot Camp. ;)

B

4. Killian macrumors member

Hahaha, yeah good point!! In that case, I suggest ditching everything and buying an Intel Mac! lol

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Ahem, right. Getting back to the original question. :rolleyes:

If your Windows environment, even in VPC, is open to the internet, it's going to be susceptible to every irritation the Windows world knows (and they are legion). I think the only thing that VPC maybe does for you is give you the benefit of the OS X firewall. But you are vulnerable to all the same security exploits that any other Windows user is.

So yes, you really should install all of those updates. :( SP2 in particular does a *lot* for you, so that should be on your definite list....